Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#187933 Mar 2nd, 2008 at 01:36 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
There's an old rose bush in my yard.Yesterday, I took out old canes,litter,old leaves(u get the idea). I found some new growth. It's in desperate need of food.I have some that i'll give to it. I'll have a pic of the bush up later.

Waiting for fall...
500 Posts
500 Posts
If you want it to really take off... Sprinkle a cup of Epsom Salt around and water it in they love that.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #188708 Mar 4th, 2008 at 05:26 AM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
SAVE COFFEEE GROUNDS! lol sorry for the caps but i wanted to emphazize it loudly! lol yes epsome salt is good for almost anything in your garden! be sure to cut back the dead canes enrique you don't want the rose bushes center to be crowded you want it to have good air circulation so it helps prevent deseases and fungus, mildew, etc.. coffee ground are also good with toher plants to such as azalias, houseplants, you name it. So put the epsom salt down and then in a few days put some cofee grounds around the base and just work it into the soil a little bit. be sure not to damage the roots. also you should mulch around your rose and build like a well around the base so when you water it its easier. (only water at the bases of roses!)

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #188734 Mar 4th, 2008 at 05:52 AM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
heres tips from mr.bill right here on how to prune a rose

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/pruningroses.htm

i didnt see this though:
when cutting off a flower cut above the 5 leaflet at a 45 degree angle (the set of leave with 5 of them to a stem). The 45 degree angle will keep water from lying flat on top of there and creating any disease or fungus. I also when I cut flowers i seal the can with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip just dip into the alchol and apply to where i just cut with the q-tip. Also try and disenfect your pruners before doing any cutting and after every cut if the rose bush has a disease problem or fungus.

heres something i wrote about roses in somewhere else in the forum

********************************************************************************

mix:

1 tablespoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
And a gallon of water

Put in a spray bottle spray on your rose bush this solution helps to prevnt and treat mildew and black spots if you see mildew or black spots spray every 2 weeks in the morning.

To get rid of insects
mix:
1 part dish toap to 2 parts water in a spray bottle shake well
and spray directly on the insect infestaition
best to spray in the morning

or you can buy lady bugs to put on your roses and other plants that have bug problems.

Oh and heres a great fertilizer you could use on your roses,

whenever you boil hard boiled eggs save the water set it aside to cool completely and then poor it around the base of your roses.

another thing when watering your roses always water at the base of your rose to lessen the chance of mildewing leaves and getting black spots on them!

I expect to see pictures of you roses please! i just love them!

toposh #190587 Mar 9th, 2008 at 01:00 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Heres a pic of my rose bush:
[Linked Image]
The bush is petty old.I don't know what variety the bush is.

Waiting for fall...
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Awesome enrique! very nice!!! whats those plants growin beside them with the varigated leaves? Oh also you want to ensure good ventilation to the center of the bush so cut down any intertwining branches in the middle.... Wow tough they look very healthy! it seems to be a shrub type maybe? when the flowers flower post a pic you can tell alot by the shap of the flower and the petals!

toposh #190602 Mar 9th, 2008 at 01:58 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I've never seen aphids on the bush...otherwise it needs a good helping of plant food.

Waiting for fall...
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
well im sure it couldnt hurt but to me it looks healthy! my great gramma would be jealous! im jealous too! remmeber what i said about the boiled eggs and putting coffee grounds around the base u can use that on othe rplants too!

toposh #190616 Mar 9th, 2008 at 02:31 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
The bush needs a little training and it'll be even healthier!

Waiting for fall...
toposh #209105 May 15th, 2008 at 02:54 PM
Eva Offline
Originally Posted by toposh
heres tips from mr.bill right here on how to prune a rose

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/pruningroses.htm

i didnt see this though:
when cutting off a flower cut above the 5 leaflet at a 45 degree angle (the set of leave with 5 of them to a stem). The 45 degree angle will keep water from lying flat on top of there and creating any disease or fungus. I also when I cut flowers i seal the can with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip just dip into the alchol and apply to where i just cut with the q-tip. Also try and disenfect your pruners before doing any cutting and after every cut if the rose bush has a disease problem or fungus.

heres something i wrote about roses in somewhere else in the forum

********************************************************************************

mix:

1 tablespoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
And a gallon of water

Put in a spray bottle spray on your rose bush this solution helps to prevnt and treat mildew and black spots if you see mildew or black spots spray every 2 weeks in the morning.

To get rid of insects
mix:
1 part dish toap to 2 parts water in a spray bottle shake well
and spray directly on the insect infestaition
best to spray in the morning

or you can buy lady bugs to put on your roses and other plants that have bug problems.

Oh and heres a great fertilizer you could use on your roses,

whenever you boil hard boiled eggs save the water set it aside to cool completely and then poor it around the base of your roses.

another thing when watering your roses always water at the base of your rose to lessen the chance of mildewing leaves and getting black spots on them!

I expect to see pictures of you roses please! i just love them!

Will that mix work for the yellow spots? Someone mentioned that it might be a fungus.

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #209200 May 16th, 2008 at 05:04 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, the yellow spots are the start of black spot. If you can catch it in time the baking soda mix might help. Also never water your roses at night. The dampness doesn't help. water in the a.m. and at the base not over the top.

I also pluck and throw out the yellow and blackened leaves, not the prettiest but it helps control the fungus spread.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
cinta #211559 May 26th, 2008 at 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by cinta
If you want it to really take off... Sprinkle a cup of Epsom Salt around and water it in they love that.

Well, that answers something I put in another post here about epsom salts. :) I used it on my dieing Joseph's Coat last year and it saved it. I didn't use a cup. I just used a tablespoon. Does it depend on the size of the rose bush?

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image