Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#188391 Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:58 AM
OP Offline
growing perfect tomatoes.

My green thumb is twitching as spring approaches closer by the minute. Every year I germinate cyan peppers and 3 of 4 varieties of tomatoes in a south facing window, with not so much direct sun, with exception to the morning and the evening. I start them in seed starter pots and transplant to garden – but they are always tall and spindly.

1 - Should I just plant them in a 4 inch pot, the size that tomato bedding out plants came in?

What is the best soil mix for this?

2 - A soil less mix and fertilize them every watering?

3 – Should I use a soil based mix? – If so, when and how do I fertilize for best results?

4 - If I build a temporary green house structure in my window to increase the humidity will it increase the stock size and produce a shorter healthier plant?

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image]

OK this is just a little taunt to get your thumb itching.

The infinitesimally small seed that produces the giant is the winner...

Clive Webmaster of The Writers Voice
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by starter pots...peat pots, peat pellets?
Jiffy Mix is an acceptable medium, but not nearly as good as a professional mix from a good nursey, or you can add about 1 part compost to 3 parts of the Jiffy Mix. Soilless mix is better than soil for seed starting.
Leggy seedlings are usually the result of too little light or too much fertilizer. Even a south facing window may not be enough light, although I've grown seedlings that way myself. One thing you can do for leggy seedlings that's actually beneficial for building roots is to repot into larger containers and fill with growing medium right up to the first set of leaves. Don't fertilize seedlings until they have their second set of true leaves, and then with half strength Miracle Grow or a fish emulsion or seaweed liquid fertilizer mixed half strength. Use this same dillution no more than every-other week until planting out. Humidity is good for starting seeds, but can cause problems for seedlings.

dave
1k Posts
1k Posts
Nice beans

Waiting for fall...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image