Hello all, I am new so allow me to introduce myself, I'm Roggie. I have a question....

I am attempting to use the Hypoestes phyllostachya or Polka Dot plant as a bedding plant along the front of my house. I bought small plants at a nursery late last summer and planted them in a row as suggested.

They have grown fast and now are about 12-inches high. My problem is that the leaves never showed up, (the main reason for choosing this plant). Instead there are long woody branches with what appear to be wrapped up leaves. The plants are brown in color with long branches or stems. Now at the base of each plant are very small versions of the plant with "furry" or "fuzzy" leaves that do in fact have the proper color. What's wrong?

The planter is about 30 feet long, and the plants are about 18 inches apart. The bed gets sun for a brief period of about 2 hours in late morning and I keep the soil moist as suggested. The plants aren't dead as when I break one off and break into it, it bright green and very obviously alive. Is the plant dormant due to winter and thus will bloom later or what?

Thanks

TSR