Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19042 Apr 10th, 2007 at 03:18 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I originally started a thread regarding Louisiana Irises in our Plants forum but no response on my question. Thought I would put it here in seeds forum, as appropriate. I kept the spent stalks until I can ascertain location of seed pods.

[Linked Image]

My La. Iris is called Freddie Boy
[Linked Image]

Can anyone help?

sure... mine don't seed out every year, or even the first year after transplant in most cases... it's like the rhizome has to be several years old to tolerate being moved and seed out the same year... I had seeds from my dark purple bearded iris the second year after transplant... and you can't miss them because they come up in a tulip shaped closed seedpod that looks like it came from another planet, sorta... wild iris seems to seed out just about every year but moreso in wetter years... make sure you wait for them to dry in the seedpod so they remain viable and gather them before the wind and rain in the fall spread them for you ;)

Hope this helps...

Lorena

[Linked Image]
"My Treasures do not clink together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
Lorena #19309 Apr 10th, 2007 at 07:24 PM
incedently, no seedpods there in the photo

[Linked Image]
"My Treasures do not clink together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Lorena,
Thanks so much for your response. When would the seed pods show? And when they do, should I cut the stalk that the pod would be on when I see it, or leave it alone til whenever? flwr

if they are going to show, about the time the flower heads start drying up, the seedpod will grow up among them looking a little like another bud, but like I said, they don't seed out every year in my experience. I have iris along the house that haven't seeded out in 3 plus years, but others that I replanted seeded out the following spring, but they were in full sun... I don't know what if anything that has to do with it, but that's been how it's worked for me...

happy planting,

Lorena

[Linked Image]

Old Arab Proverb
Lorena #20971 Apr 12th, 2007 at 08:01 PM
I wouldn't count on cut iris to seed out...

[Linked Image]

Old Arab Proverb
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Okay Lorena,
What I will do then is leave the remaining stalks in bloom and hope they seed out. Once I see (hoping to) the seed pod, then should I cut and dry?

Thanks again.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Could this be the seed pod, Lorena, anyone?

[Linked Image]

flwr If so, what are my instructions? nervous

The green thing looks like the seed pod. If you leave it on the stalk, it will eventually start drying out and turn brown. Keep a watch, because when it gets ready, the seed pod will pop open and disperse seeds. I have removed them before when brown, and allowed them to dry out before I opened the pod. You will have many seeds in the pod. I have planted these before and grown irises. I usually soak the seed first before planting.

Sherri
sbreland #36660 May 3rd, 2007 at 04:50 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
From my own experience I know that it is easy to harvest to early and end up with immature seeds that don't sprout. So let it take it's time. It will appear dead before it is ripe for most plants. Good luck with your harvesting. And when you have seed harvesting questions a good place to go is to the plant propogation section.

[Linked Image]
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Sherri and Tammy. I am thrilled with this info! I'll let ya'll know when and what happens! flwr

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image