Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#192824 Mar 16th, 2008 at 04:03 PM
OP Offline
OK – I put together 3 -- 120 watt spot-gro bulbs from Sylvania mounted on a 2 x 4 and on chain a bulb every 16 inches. I have a timer with 3 on and off settings so I want to extend the light that I get in the April and may till I transplant that I am hoping is May 24th. Long weekend.

Ok so when the seedlings break through the soil I should add the extended light for how many hours? I am at the 51st parallel by 151 at 34 to 38 hundred feet above sea level east of the Rockies in Calgary. If I add time in the morning 3 hours before sun up to 3 or four at the end of the day will that do it or keep the lights on. Should I run at an 18 hours of light turning off when the sun is direct?

What would you do with these lights?

The infinitesimally small seed that produces the giant is the winner...

Clive Webmaster of The Writers Voice
1k Posts
1k Posts
For my tomatoes,I used to keep my lights on for 16 hours a day.Now I keep them on after sunset and during daytime my seedlings are outside soaking up sunshine.

Waiting for fall...
1k Posts
1k Posts
My seedlings get 15 hours of light a day as soon as they come through. I have them in the house for about a month then transplanting time starts for me....by then I can use the green house.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
Planting here starts after the may long weekend or the end depending on the temp.

I was wondering if aerating the water before it is applied to the seedlings would have a noticeable affect.

and a foot note - I bought some seed chili pepper the demon red for 3.59 and when I opened the package it had 8 seeds in it so about 50 cents a seed, seemed kind of pricey but if they are good then it is good.

Anyone grow the demon red pepper.

The infinitesimally small seed that produces the giant is the winner...

Clive Webmaster of The Writers Voice

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image