Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193185 Mar 17th, 2008 at 06:26 PM
OP Offline
I'm starting my vegetable garden from scratch and if you ever have been to the open range on the south Mesa of New Mexico you know what I mean. boohoo
So far I have learned to put up a barbwire fence to keep the neighbors out (namely the cows) we are in open range... prayers
I have grown tomatoes here after putting up a tomato house to keep the rabbits and birds out... haha
The area for the vegetable garden has two fences both rabbit and chicken wire...So now that I have the bunker to use as my vegetable garden how I need help..... tapfoot
Any help appreciated, I think I have to build the soil... I know the first two inches is sand and a few feet down is caliche (misspelled sorry the white rock like stuff... shock
Oh, no now I sound crazy but I love to grow vegetables and really need help.
Thank you for your time, clap

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
1k Posts
1k Posts
Is the soil alkaline?What I mean is that the soil's pH is above 7.0?

Waiting for fall...
OP Offline
Hi Emdegardener2
I have not checked yet. But I'm more confused now, I called the Master Gardener line for New Mexico or Albuquerque and the lady said, to give up that all I have is sand. She suggested raised bed garden but I have five acres and a nice size garden.
I tried to tell her when I put the shovel in other than two inches of sand I have soil...But I guess I need to get the ph number.
I'll tell you that when I get it.
I did make tomatoes Early girl, Beef steak and 100 sweet cherries.
Sorry that I don't know the ph.
Thank you for your post zoink

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
1k Posts
1k Posts
I don't know the pH of my soil;I guess it's about 6 or7;All kinds of fruits& veggies can grow in my soil except for blueberries;they need acidic soil.

Waiting for fall...
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Some desert areas are very alkaline; like along the Colorado River. It is very hard to grow anything much in the soil as it nearly poisons what you try to grow. Most things are grown in raised beds and even then often need acidic treatments because the water is high Ph. That usually means no deep rooted plants. But with a lot of amendments, you can grow just about any veggie because most aren't grown more than a season. That means a lot of adding of mulch and just about anything you can get your hands on to lighten and add to the soil. Grass clippings and leaves if available, straw, pine needles. Manure (those cows can be useful).
If you are going to try perennial veggies like artichokes or asparagus you might need those raised beds.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline

Hi Jonni13,
I did put an artichoke plant last yearmade little bitty artichokes..Went and gathered manure the neighbors left and added mulch an peat moss. rolz
I also only have the society garlic I brought from Louisiana and sure enough it is already turning green at ground level..
I tried corn and the stalks only made it to three foot tall and did produce but small ears.
I never thought about the water.
Thanks for the post. bop

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
OP Offline
Hi Emgar2
I posted this question to the Extension Horticulture Agent and first got this answer.
Question: What zone is Sandovola county just out of
> rio Rancho and what is the ph
> of the soil average?
> Thanks
First answer:
Most of Sandoval County falls into USDA plant hardiness zone 7a. The pH
will vary a lot, but my gut feel is that it likely runs about 7.5.

Then a few hours later got thiscame form the same extention office?

You are probably in zone 6. Most of the soil in this
area is alakine and requires compost. To be sure what
you soil is you should have the soil tested. This can
be done with a self test kit or you can check with the
extension office for a test done at New Mexico State
So I thought I knew the zone but now who knows...

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
OP Offline
I was so worried about the land I forgot my water comes from the city.. The person I tried to get to dig a well said all he would promise is a straight hole, $25,00.00 please..To this I bought a water truck and we bring the water in..
I am very confused now on which zone I'm. in.
Sent message to County extention agent thinking I already new and then to two different zones.
Thanks again for the info,

Last edited by FallingLeaf; Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:41 AM.

Blessed Be,
FallingLeaf
FallingLeaf-
I'm interested in how your garden is coming along. I'm new to N.M., The East Mountains, High Desert AND veggie gardening.

New to veggie gardening in the high desert of The East Mountains - near Albuquerque, N.M. All help is appreciated!
FallingLeaf and TinasArk. Go out and get a book called "Sunset's western gardening book". It has all sorts of information in it. the one thing to remember is, they have their own "zone" system for the book. It covers more then just spring frost dates.

They have them at book stores and gardening centers.

And find out the pH of your water too.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
If youhave already successfully grown tomatoes, then your pH is surely 7 or lower, the issue with small stalks of corn sounds like nitrogen defeciency, maybe, Mulch, Mulch, compost and more mulch, you have a project ahead of you, but you'll be well rewarded for your efforts!

dave
I was raised in NM although not in your area had experience with the types of soils you have. I agree with Dave 100% on this. Mulch and manure and you will do fine. If you have city water I imagine you are fine. There are some alkyd wells as the old timers call them in NM but you can tell them. I just think you need to build your soil up. Be patient and don't over react. With that I mean don't go out and try every off the wall suggestion from those who don't know your soil or area and climate. What works in NY won't work in this area. I have learned from my over 40 years of experience growing in these arid and semi arid conditions you can raise about anything with manure and a little water and time. And I agree the corn probably needed more fertilizer. You can supplement some with a granular type till you get your soil built up. Remember corn takes more water and lots on nitrogen. I always side dress my corn with additional fertilizer when it is around 6". Tomatoes don't need as much. They will be all leaves and stems if they get too much N. Be thankful for the sand. With a small amount of sand you can do lots. And with the caliche underneath your drainage might not be great. So keep that in mind when watering. Nothing is a better teacher than experience. Talk too any local growers you can find. They are a valuable source of knowledge. They will know so much more about your micro climate than me who is hundreds of miles away. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Gardening can be very rewarding and also very trying at times. JD

Do you have a Farmers Market in the area? If so these people usually love to talk about what works and does not work in the areas. We have one in our area. It is very small but they all love talking about what they grew and how and what works. Try this. They are usually advertising this time of year. If so try calling and asking them. Most gardeners are very friendly that belong to these farmers markets. Just remember they are very busy right now, so you might ask them when you can call and discuss your problems.
I live in the far north west corner of Arizona, close to the New Mexico border. I am at 6,000 altitude.

Today winds are 45-55 mph gusts and 70 degrees.JUST GOT WEATHER ALERT - NOW 60MPH.have had 70 this year so far.
Got my garden ready last week (80 degrees) with help from the gardeners club (a group of people that need help getting fencing done, tilling done, etc. We tilled it, put in composted goat manure. Layed out T-tape (watering system).

I put in peas, swiss chard, beets, onions this week. Have to get my small gage chicken wire on the field fencing with about 4" curved out at the bottom to discourage the jack rabbits and rats. This has worked well for us in the last few years. I moved to the village that is why I have to do all this.

I am now very busy planting inside the varieties that go in after the 15th of May. I have to plant double so that if a large wind comes or frost and destroys the first planting I can replant 1st of June.

Our rows are 42 feet long and 42 inches wide.

We have to use row covers over the entire row when the wind blows here to protect the plants when they come up, till usually around end May first of June.

We have hot weather of around 95 -102 degrees in June till 2nd week of July. Then monsoons that lowers the temprature and rains most afternoons. With mild wind gusts, lightning and thunder storms till 2nd week of August or the end of August. This makes our season short, but the cool weather plants seem to revive and produce again.

I am leaning how to grow in this area from Moon Rise Naturally grown small garden farm. My son works there and is learning a lot. They have gardened in this area for over 10 years.

I hope this helps a little. Will think of more, but do not know what your temperatures, and winds are there or altitude.

have fun gardening.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image