Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#193660 Mar 18th, 2008 at 08:13 PM
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. I'm on my third year gardening on my own at my own house (in the beautiful Pacific NW where we lucky people are already into the growing season). I tried this year to use some seeds I bought last year. The cabbage and collards are going great, but I only got one jalapeno and no squash of any variety. I'm assuming this is because the seeds are old. Am I right? Does anyone know if radishes and bush beans might be viable the next year? I planted both those last week and want to get new seeds pronto if they're not going to sprout.

Thanks!!

Peace and Soybeans,

ERN
Erinne #193667 Mar 18th, 2008 at 08:27 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hey,I also live on the West Coast,but in California's Central Valley. I've planted two year old squash seeds & they sprouted well. For every year that you keep seeds,expect the germination rate to fall by 10-25% per year.If your older seeds aren't sprouting well,I presume it's improper storage of seeds (they must be kept in a cool,dry place away from light ,drafts& excessive heat & low or high humidity.

Waiting for fall...
Erinne #194056 Mar 20th, 2008 at 03:48 AM
peppers always leave me wondering...they seem to take longer to sprout than most veggies. I started 2nd year seeds, half the jalapeno have come up, half the thai, none of the habanero, and all the anehiems. It has only been 10 days for me, so I will wait another week before I toss mine.

Most of the tomatoes and all the squash came up for me.

I used seeds last year for beans and radishes (directly outside) with no problems.

I'd suggest you give it a few more days (though squash usually sprout withing 5 days for me).

Shawn

I have to agree with improper storage of seeds. I have some that are over 5 years old and I have to admit they look rather dried out. When dry I bottle mine in pill containers or little paper envelopes. I don't know if this is the proper method, but that's what I do and they do last several years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image