Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#191675 Mar 13th, 2008 at 05:05 AM
OP Offline
I have tried something new this year. I started some broccoli and caluiflower from seeds. They have come up nicely. My question is, how do I keep them from getting leggy? Thanks!

Hannah & Dacota (my GSD pup-born May 20, 2007)
-Zone 6 - Jeremiah 29:11
Hannah L--- #192125 Mar 14th, 2008 at 04:24 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I can grow broccoli here in fall-early spring.After early spring,the weather gets too hot.

Waiting for fall...
Hannah L--- #192178 Mar 14th, 2008 at 06:51 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Hannah L---
I have tried something new this year. I started some broccoli and caluiflower from seeds. They have come up nicely. My question is, how do I keep them from getting leggy? Thanks!

I'm a little confused.
"so far (5/15/07)- 11 tomato plants, and 26 peppers(I think)!!!"
Last year? It's time to get broccoli/cauliflower outside...................

Last edited by peppereater; Mar 14th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

dave
peppereater #192317 Mar 15th, 2008 at 07:28 AM
OP Offline
Sorry, I haven't updated my signiture since last year! I decided to start seeds inside THIS YEAR so that they have a head start. Where I live, it isn't quite time to place them outside yet. Can you do like tomatoes,(which shoot roots out) and bury the stem? Or are they more like peppers? Thanks! I've updated my signiture now- it is current! :)

Last edited by Hannah L---; Mar 15th, 2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: updated signiture

Hannah L--- #192350 Mar 15th, 2008 at 09:41 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
The thing about broccoli and cauliflower is, they're cool season crops. No need to wait until after the last frost. They'll take some frost, and if temps in the low 20's or colder are expected, they can be covered. I'm in zone 7, and all cole crops...broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts...should be planted out now. I'm thinking yours should, too, in zone 6, but soon, for sure. They don't like hot weather, so they do best in spring. I'm pretty sure that the stems should not be buried, they'd probably rot. Tomatoes root from the stem, most things don't. I personally would get the seedlings outdoors to harden off. A sheltered spot where they can get a few hours of sun a day and some breeze will do wonders for them. Bring them in on cold nights, and gradually give them more direct sun. One thing you can do indoors to help avoid "legginess" is to put a small fan on them. I use a $4 clip-on fan placed where it just stirs the leaves, this is great for peppers and 'maters especially, but it's good to have a breeze on anything after a few leaves develop. This is actually one of the really important reasons to harden things off...allow them to strengthen the stems before they're totally exposed to the elements.
You should plant the peas and spinach soon, they both take even colder temps than broc and cauli. My peas sprouted March 1 and survived a 17 degree freeze. Lettuce and radishes survived in a cold-frame. In fact, one year I planted snowpeas in the fall and they survived the winter...just never grew much until the spring.

dave
peppereater #192387 Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:52 PM
OP Offline
ok! I have been using a fan- I'll try setting them outside in the next day or two. I am currently waiting for my garden to be plowed... So until that is done, I can't get in the garden. I have grown lettuce all summer, and it hasn't done to bad, but I want to get it out soon. I forget, but can you plant peas in the fall also? Thanks!

Hannah L--- #192392 Mar 15th, 2008 at 01:04 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Im in England , zone 7 I havent even planted my seeds, I hope that I am not too late.

[Linked Image]
peppereater #194121 Mar 20th, 2008 at 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by peppereater
The thing about broccoli and cauliflower is, they're cool season crops. No need to wait until after the last frost. They'll take some frost, and if temps in the low 20's or colder are expected, they can be covered. I'm in zone 7, and all cole crops...broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts...should be planted out now. I'm thinking yours should, too, in zone 6, but soon, for sure. They don't like hot weather, so they do best in spring. I'm pretty sure that the stems should not be buried, they'd probably rot. Tomatoes root from the stem, most things don't. I personally would get the seedlings outdoors to harden off. A sheltered spot where they can get a few hours of sun a day and some breeze will do wonders for them. Bring them in on cold nights, and gradually give them more direct sun. One thing you can do indoors to help avoid "legginess" is to put a small fan on them. I use a $4 clip-on fan placed where it just stirs the leaves, this is great for peppers and 'maters especially, but it's good to have a breeze on anything after a few leaves develop. This is actually one of the really important reasons to harden things off...allow them to strengthen the stems before they're totally exposed to the elements.
You should plant the peas and spinach soon, they both take even colder temps than broc and cauli. My peas sprouted March 1 and survived a 17 degree freeze. Lettuce and radishes survived in a cold-frame. In fact, one year I planted snowpeas in the fall and they survived the winter...just never grew much until the spring.

Excellent post. It is truly amazing how many vegetables thrive on cooler temperatures. I am in zone 5 and my brocolli and cauliflower is in the ground on 15 April, (as are my potatoes). They thrive even with a few frosts. If I don't put them in early, the harvest product is very poor quality. Also in my area many commercial growers plant during the summer and harvest in the cool fall. I have never tried this late planting about 15 of July. The quality is better than the spring, since sometimes June is too hot when harvesting.

Carrots will germinate if it is warm in April for seven or eight days, and if they germinate they are outstanding even if it turns cold. Carrots will take 21 days to germinate if too hot,and if really hot they will not germinate at all. Usually above 80F.

Durgan Zone 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image