Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189669 Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:34 AM
OP Offline
I have this flowerbed in between my garage and front door. It had a huge tropical plant (ginger i think) with dwarf azaeleas. I removed all of that but left the existing iris.

I amended the soil lightly with a general fertilizer and pre-emergence herbicide. I also tilled in about 300lbs of topsoil. But about two feet underneath the bed soil, the ground is pretty tight clay.

I was planning on planting a Japanese maple (Bloodgood) in the center of the bed. But I was looking for ideas for things to plant around it. I could go back with the dwarf azaeleas but that's fairly plain. I was hoping to get some other ideas.

So any would be appreciated. If it helps, I think I'm borderline zone 8/9. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FredJarreau #189675 Mar 7th, 2008 at 05:03 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm too far out of your zone to help you(I'm a zone 3/4)but I just wanted to say...WOW, Your home is beautiful.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #190128 Mar 8th, 2008 at 06:11 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
First thing that comes to mind are coleus, the ones that will take sun to part shade. They would give you plenty of color and foliage all you would have to do is keep the blooms pinched off.

here are some other possibilities:

Aconitum henryi 'Sparks Variety' Monkshood this gets up to 6 feet tall when staked otherwise it vines. So on a trellis it would look fantastic I think and the dark blue is a nice color I think. Blooms late summer. There are many species of monkshood that you can look at as possibilities for your garden.

Actaea pachypoda, Dolls Eyes blooms in spring and has 3 season interest. But it is toxic so not good to have if you have children or pets.

Agapanthus 'Africanus' lily-of-the-Nile I think this might go well with your iris.

Alstroemeria 'Mauve Majesty' Peruvian lily These will bloom all summer long.

Amaryllis belladonna, Naked Lady These bloom in late summer after their foliage has disappeared. Of course in your zone you could grow most of the amaryllis and I think they are beautiful.

Amsonia 'Blue Ice' Blue Star flower Might make a nice eging plant for your bed.

Anemanthele lessoniana, Pheasant's Tail Grass This might make a nice backdrop for your bed up against your house. I think the colors might work well together.

Angelica gigas, Angelica If you like plants that look alittle odd here is a biennial that is interesting.

Celosia is another annual that you might want to add to your bed. It comes in most of your hot colors and is a real stunner. It self seeds if not dead headed and also makes for great dried flower arrangements.

Aristolochia contorta, Dutchman's Pipe

Artemisia lud. 'Valerie Finnis', White Sage

Aruncus d. 'Child of Two Worlds', Goatsbeard another nice background plant for your bed

Astilbe a. 'Bridal Veil', False Spirea some false spirea can handle your zone some cannot so you'll have to research which ones you like best carefully.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #191090 Mar 11th, 2008 at 05:24 AM
OP Offline
Thanks tamara. And thanks for all of the suggestions tk.

FredJarreau #191352 Mar 12th, 2008 at 04:26 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hope you will let us know what you decide.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #194158 Mar 20th, 2008 at 11:17 AM
OP Offline
I'm gonna take a picture this afternoon or maybe tomorrow morning. I decided against the Japanese maple in the bed b/c I had many people tell me it would get too big for that location.

I went with a Japanese magnolia in the center and planted five caladium bulbs around it. I put three abelia along the back and an olive jar in the back corner. Right in front of the jar I put a Indian hawthorn. Along the front curve of the bed I put a couple of lantana and a small spreading evergreen (the name eludes me now).

In the back left, I planted three dwarf African lillies. And then I lined the back and right side with river rock to protect the drip line. I also put some assorted annuals in the bed.

It looks a little more empty than what I had in mind but I think all of the plants have a good bit of room to grow. So next year it should be much more full.

Last edited by CobaltTugger; Mar 20th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
FredJarreau #194163 Mar 20th, 2008 at 12:03 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Looking forward to seeing some of your updated pictures Charles. thumbup

#194172 Mar 20th, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Me too!

[Linked Image]
FredJarreau #194228 Mar 20th, 2008 at 04:08 PM
OP Offline
Here's a couple pics. Because of the afternoon shade, the lighting isn't that great in the second one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FredJarreau #194262 Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:23 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Oh hey, that looks really great! thumbup Is that big urn style pot a water feature? Give it a little time and it will all fill in very nicely.

#194267 Mar 20th, 2008 at 05:34 PM
I suggest you maintain only a plant or two
for simplicity's sake, like a small raised
bed --about two feet in diameter) with a china rose, surrounded
pea gravel to discourage unwanted plant growth.

[Linked Image]
picture links to a rose grower in Tyler, TX-- it can be found
by selecting Own Root Garden roses in the menu.

neko nomad #194282 Mar 20th, 2008 at 06:02 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i like it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,920
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image