Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#190517 Mar 9th, 2008 at 08:28 AM
OP Offline
I was wondering about opinions on seed starting mix. Also those peat wafers that are soaked and have the peat inside them. I am doing an experiment to see if those things are inferior to other mixes.(had problems with them being too wettish and fungusy) This year I bought the coconut fiber stuff. It gets mixed with perlite. So far it seems good. Anyway what other mixes do people use? Also do you put anything else in when you start seeds like a antifungal treatment? How expensive is the mix you use?

1k Posts
1k Posts
I plant seeds indoors in Jiffy peat pellets. They are relatively cheap.I do have problems with fungi on them. When I see fungi on them,I squish them.

Waiting for fall...
Hi Tamara,
I normally use a commercial mix I get from the local greenhouses or Pro Mix from Home Depot. With as many plants as I start it is the cheapest route to go. I have used most of the rest at times all with decent to good results. Especially if I need a small amount to end the season. I prefer a mix that has no additives to start the seeds in. Then I will spray with Neptune Harvest fish and seaweed if needed. Then I try to transplant to 4" pots. And use a good potting soil. I'm going to try the cowpots this year. You can plant them and the pots just dissolve in the soil. They are made of composted cow manure so a good additive and enviromentally friendly. The mix I used last year was a Sun Gro mix. I had some left over I will start this season with. I had a bag of the New Beginnings mix I'm using some of as a trial. Use it in half a flat and the commercial in the other half and then put half the seeds of a variety in one and the other half in the other and see which does the best. Should be real close if both mixes are good. I've had good results with the Jiffy pellets but find they are more trouble to keep at the right moisture levels. If it is sold in this area I've probably at least trialed it. MG to me is one I use as a last resort that many really like. Just my experience and opinions. Jay

1k Posts
1k Posts
Hey Jay,have you ever used Jiffy mix?It's a seed starting mix.

Waiting for fall...
Yes I've used most of them including the Jiffy mix and pellets. I like the commercial mixes as they work very well and cheaper. I buy them in the big bags. I've experimented with many. I like a seed starting mix with no additives at all. About any of them will work. We all have our favorites and that is what we should use. Jay

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, this is a new subject for me.. I have a question... How are the Jiffy peat pellets in the little greenhouse thing different from what you are talking about Jay?? Is the little greenhouse good too? Cause that is what I am probably going to go with.. unless I shouldn't. why Thanks!

http://chazaf.notlong.com/ 31 January 2008 Starting tomato seeds. Pictures of method.
I use this procedure for all my seed starting and it appears to promote germination without further care until sprouted.

The soil mixture is my own which consists of compost,peat moss, sand and some garden soil, which is mixed with the small rototiller in the summer and stored for next years use in five gallon containers, basically the same as the garden soil but a little lighter.

Probably humidity does more to encourage germination than soil moisture, and since the seeds are close to the soil surface, the seeds tend to dry out rather quickly if not in a high humidity environment. The top of the clear plastic covers are opened when the seedlings are about one or two inches high.

Jiffy pots have their uses, but when used the pot is placed in a plastic container and covered with earth to prevent the pot from acting like a wick and drawing moisture form the seedling. Generally I avoid their use, in favour of the clear plastic bag method over a plastic pot. The expandable slugs are avoided also, since they dry out too quickly.

I now use a window facing South for germination, since the basement is too cold, and the light from the sun is far more than the grow lights. When the tempereature is sufficient the plants sre placed in a little green house, or placed outside during the day for the sun light if it is warm enough.

Last edited by Durgan; Mar 19th, 2008 at 06:07 AM.

Durgan Zone 5
Im using a coconut fiber/worm poo/perilite mix this year. Works great so far! It is hard to get wet though. You have to hand mix it because it's reluctant to absorb at first.

1k Posts
1k Posts
I use an organic seedling starter mix that I can buy at my local hardware store. Has been working well for me the last 2 years.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies.
I am noticing a lot of uneven drying this year- even on trays without heating pads underneath. And this is a problem because I haven't been very focused on my seeds this year. I have lost a couple sprouts due to dryness and had to reseed some. I don't think I'll use peat pellets anymore at all. They are either mucky or too dry and seeding can be difficult. The seeds (I am doing sweet peas in them) are hard to get deep enough and covered up.

Originally Posted by Tamara from Minnesota
Thanks for the replies.
I am noticing a lot of uneven drying this year- even on trays without heating pads underneath. And this is a problem because I haven't been very focused on my seeds this year. I have lost a couple sprouts due to dryness and had to reseed some. I don't think I'll use peat pellets anymore at all. They are either mucky or too dry and seeding can be difficult. The seeds (I am doing sweet peas in them) are hard to get deep enough and covered up.

http://chazaf.notlong.com/ 31 January 2008 Starting seeds. Pictures of method.
This never fails me. There is no maintenance after planting the seeds until they germinate. I have tried all the methods over the years and this is almost 100% sure. The plastic cover is lifted after the seedings come up, and the plants can be left in the pot probably until raady to place in the garden in many cases. The only problem is they take up a fair amount of space, but I manage to select and juggle to satisify all.

My potting soil is made up during the summer, a mixture of compost, sand, garden soil, and sometimes the lousy peat moss that is being sold these days. It is mixed with a small rototiller for consistancy. It is stored in 5 gallon pails until needed. Buying potting mix is OK, but I always feel it is too expensive for what you get.

If the land is good probably $50 to $100 is reasonable. I use to pay $25.00 for a small plot 15 years ago. Often from a farmer you can get a small area for nothing, particularly if it is not being used.

Good luck.

Durgan Zone 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image