Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#196201 Mar 27th, 2008 at 09:44 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my little hydrangea that I planted last spring.

[Linked Image]

For such a tiny thing it did well, blooming so well that you often couldn't even see its leaves. It started out blooming pink, then the last half of the summer the blooms were mostly blue. I know that has something to do with the soil PH, but I'm really not sure what. At any rate, it can bloom either color, they were both lovely.

My issue is this: He looks really lonely in that big bed all by himself. Any suggestions as to what would compliment him?

[Linked Image]

The bed is aproximately 8x8' facing southeast and gets full sun until a little after noon, when the house offers a little shade from direct sunlight.

And I was in the middle of weedeating and weeding out the beds, so please excuse the mess!

Last edited by Ellymae; Mar 27th, 2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: resize pics
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
First thing is you need to resize your pics, us dial up users can't upload them...thanks

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
ooops, how do I do that?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I notified a hostess to help you out.

You have to set your photo site to a smaller sized photo before uploading here. As a dial up user, it will only load part way then just disappear and give me a red x instead of a picture.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Are you looking to fill it all in or just a little bit of plantings?

Hydrangeas change colours depending on the acidity in your soil.

Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I resized them on photobucket. If its still too big, give me a holler and I'll try again!

And I think this shrub will get quite big (I believe the tag said 6' around and 5' tall) so I'm assuming that in a few years it will probably cover the whole bed. I would like to have something around the border that I can leave permantly, even after the shrub has grown, but would like to fill in a bit with things I might transplant later when the hydrangea starts to overgrow it.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it will take more than a "few" years for it to max out size. more like 5-15. so, planting something toward the edges to keep it company would be good, i'm just at a loss as to what right now. kinda brain dead. but i love your beds. no

#196355 Mar 27th, 2008 at 06:40 PM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are the other beds in the front, just to give an idea of what I'm working with.

[Linked Image]

I am trying to keep a structured, ordered, "neat" appearance in the front of the house, so whatever I end up doing will be in "rows". Figured I will let the creative side of me loose in the back yard And have a more informal, cottage garden type of plan.

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
have you thought of lavender i think it would completment the hydrangea beutifuly!! or you could try petunias or waz begoinias maybe? I would go with lavender... or colored babys breath? i think they have blue in babys breath? or you could go with smaller bushes like lantana its a perrinial i think? i know it is down here they have many colors or you can get it in a single colored i like the multi colored though...

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
ps u have a very beautiful house!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by toposh
ps u have a very beautiful house!
yes, you do!

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
mine are just a little taller than that and I've had them planted for about 4 years now

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
hydrangea are thirsty bushes - so if that spot isn't naturally a bit moist, you'll need to water regularly (if it doesn't rain enough) to have it grow well. especially since it gets sun most of the day - they're really more of a part-shade to full-shade plant.

and, yes, hydrangea do get big - takes years and years for it to happen though - i planted mine 4 years ago and it only got to barely 3 feet tall/wide last summer.

lavendar would look nice - they like dry conditions though, so that wouldn't be a good match.

Zone 6b
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I kept him watered last year through dry spells and that spot does tend to stay moist (the drainpipe for the gutter comes out into that bed, under the gravel). He gets shade through the hottest part of the day (from about 12:30-1:00 on). I thought that meant it was partial shade. egad Oops.

Haha, if he takes that long to grow, I'd better not plant anything too tall around him, huh? I like petunias, just wouldn't really care to replant every year. Aren't petunias an annual? That's usually what I put in the big containers on the front porch.

I love lavender, have some started in my little jiffy greenhouse from seed, had planned on putting it in the backyard..... I also have sweet williams and maiden pinks started, would they work in that bed? The sweet williams are grab bag of colors, not sure if I want that much "informality" in the front. why

Maybe I'll just do more creeping flox, if I can find the colors that I have in the other beds.

Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
blush Aww, thanks! We actually bought it for our dog, long story.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
How about Minuet Weigelas, they are a small shrub, only get 1 and a half feet tall and wide or mini roses.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sorry, ellie!! i mis-read what you said about the sun conditions!! yes, what you have is just perfect for the hydrangea.

when you water it, do so in the morning (as early as possible) and make sure to water at ground level. if the leaves get wet, they could burn in the sun and, if you water too late in the day, they won't dry off enough before being in shade and that can cause fungus/mold to start up.

the sweet william are a perfect companion to the hydrangea. plant them out back and then, once you know what the colors are, you can transplant a couple out front.

you could also put in some black-eyed susan - they'll reseed themselves. also cleome - they can get tall, so put them in the back. also reseeds - quite prodigeously actually. you can cut the seed pods off before they ripen to keep newbies in check.

since it's a moister area and is shaded in the afternoon, how about some cinnamin ferns? also ladyfern. you could also do the siberian iris (they like wetter conditions)

Zone 6b
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I love ferns and had thought of putting some under the stairs where they would get more shade. I also thought they would make a nice "backdrop" for the color in the hydrangea and any future flowers planted there. They would probably have enough shade all along that wall, actually. Ooooh, I'm getting inspired here....

And geez, never thought of planting the sweet williams out back until I know what colors they are. See, this is why I need advice!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image