Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#191386 Mar 12th, 2008 at 07:58 AM
OP Offline
I just bought my friend an orchid and it had three good stems on it with flowers on all three.It is the "moth" orchid.I told her how to care for it-ie:place on a tray of pebbles but not standing in water and mist every day, water about every 3 days or so.It was placed in a west window with a sheer curtain.However after 3 days that she had it-the flowers all dropped off. What do you think could 've gone wrong?Is she killing my orchid? Also my own 2 orchids (same kind) have been without flowers for about 8 months -how do I get them to bloom again?Should I feed them now?

Linda
Questbest #193701 Mar 19th, 2008 at 01:53 AM
When it comes to orchids I am always lucky, but I am actually not sure why. I think they just like my house.
If a plant drops all flowers like that I would say that it doesn't like the location. Probably you also watered it too much. I ususally just water mine once a week.

jessie7264 #193848 Mar 19th, 2008 at 11:23 AM
OP Offline
Do you think it may be too warm?It is a west window that has a white lace curtain over it.

Linda
Questbest #194646 Mar 21st, 2008 at 11:20 PM
Hi!

I'm not sure exactly what I am doing "posting" wise but I do know that you need to make sure that your Orchid "phalaenopsis" or "moth" is not sitting in direct sunlight. A shade that blocks the sunlight from hitting the plant directly is necessary, so it is only exposed to the the "glow" from the sun hitting the blinds.
I have my orchids sitting in window with a southern exposure, with blinds turned so that it lights up the room, but the sun doesn't shine directly on the plants. Orchids love sunlight, but not sunshine. Direct sunshine will kill your orchid. You can tell if your orchid is getting too much sunlight in a direct fashion if the leaves get lighter in color, ie: light green. If you notice the leaves getting lighter, you need to change the lighting situation. Cut back on the light directness/brightness. The orchid grower that helped me with my plants, have theirs in greenhouses where the windows, ceiling and sides are painted white.
I was told to water my plants every 10 to 14 days for the larger plants which are in the large orchid pots, and every 7 days for the smaller plants in the small orchid pots. You need to feed your orchids every other watering. You don't have to mist them everyday, but they do enjoy misting between waterings and when they get watered/fed as well. You can use regular Miracle-Gro, or Peter's Professional Specialties African Violet Food. I use the Peters P/S African Violet Food, and my orchids are growing nicely. I use the strength of mix that is for feeding with every watering. I think it is either 1/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp per gallon of water, (I use spring water rather than tap water). They should only be watered from the top down, and never from the bottom up. You can catch the water that drains from the plant/s and reuse it. I use the caught water on my other houseplants. If orchids sit in water or take water in from the bottom, it will kill them. I have mine sitting on an improvised plastic lid (from a butter tub), with upside down beer bottle caps, so they can't sit in water, in case any should drain out, and I place the orchids in the kitchen drain rack after watering until they quit dripping, then I move them to their improvised elevated platforms. Large mesh, wire racks are the best to keep your orchids on, but they are not always practical. The improvised elevated platforms protect my shelving from any excess water, and allow air flow under the pot. I wouldn't set my orchids on gravel, or anything that might hold moisture outside the pot. You don't want to promote mold or fungus around your orchid/s.
I would like to know what it is that makes orchids put out spikes and bloom. My ordhids are putting on leaves and air roots, but not blooming. I've had the large one for a year now, and the small one for about 6 months. No spikes or blooms yet! I would like to add that the large one had 2 spikes on it with blooms when I got it, and the small one had had 2 spikes on it but had finished blooming when I got it. It was my understanding that orchids are supposed to bloom in the late winter months, like February. I guess they will bloom when get good and ready! lol
Any recommendations on what I need to do to get these orchids to bloom would be appreciated. I've heard all kinds of suggestions, (not from the grower), from feeding them more often, to not watering or feeding them and talking mean to them to trick them into thinking they are dying so they will bloom! lol I'm not ready to go that far just yet! I hope this will help to answer at least part of your questions. I got my instructions from a local orchid grower as far as the care/lighting and watering/feeding is concerned. They also told me what to feed them with, they use Miracle-Gro, have been for 60 years, but told me the Peters is good too. I don't care that much for Miracle-Gro myself, I prefer the Peters products. They also potted my orchids in pots that I purchased from them. They potted them in a coconut husk medium, which seems to be working just fine. It has worked for 60 years for them, so it should be good enough for me. I just don't understand what I need to do or not do to get my orchids to bloom! Thanks for your time!
sportmom

sportmom #194660 Mar 22nd, 2008 at 06:26 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
idea

Not to contradict you, but I dont go thru all that process for Orchids. I have the same one and it has 7 blooms now for about 2 months already.
It is in south window, however that window is right side of the south and there is another room on the left side, which stops the direct sunshine. A wee bit comes in the evening.
I planted mine is a ceramic type container and in Orchid soil. Put a water catcher on the bottom. I make sure it has water at all times. Either top or bottom. Yes mine stands in water .
I only fertilize it once a month with weak miracle gro.

FOlks try too hard. Now some of the other type want full sun. I have some others but they arent blooming.

I am a 3 year orchid grower........MIne works

Last edited by dodge; Mar 22nd, 2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: misspeller

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #196365 Mar 27th, 2008 at 07:08 PM
OP Offline
You seem to be having quite good success with your orchids.And I have heard that people tend to fuss over them too much which of course doesn't sound like you are doing.I am just wondering if I am suppose to be feeding them at certain times of the year or only when they are in bloom.I am confused about this.Right now I have two moth orchids neither in bloom.Is there a trick to get them to do so?

Linda
Questbest #196384 Mar 27th, 2008 at 07:40 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Once a month is all I feed them. Read the directions on the plant when you buy it.

They dont like direct sun. Notice in florida the grow in the swamps an on trees . Keep in mind they must have Orchid soil and moistue.

My white one has 7 blooms now and an 8th one starting.. I am loving it. No fuss here. Old farm house and some air does get in .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #196531 Mar 28th, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
teach

Her are my ORCHIDS today with 7 blooms and setting on the cold window sill all winter,,

B
[Linked Image]

They bloom for months on the same flower.

[Linked Image]
:ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #196573 Mar 28th, 2008 at 02:58 PM
OP Offline
Wow-those are gorgeous-mine are the same except not in bloom right now.So feed once a month. But do they have to be in bloom first?Thanx so much for the pictures and for the help.And by the way_I'm so jealous-I can see the grass getting green outside your window-we still have snow here in ON, Canada.

Linda
Questbest #196824 Mar 29th, 2008 at 06:58 AM
My husband has a couple of orchids that he's had for 6-7 years. One is a phalaenopsis that's doing great. The other one is smaller, but I don't know the name of it. They've both bloomed many times and have grown and thrived in our northeast kitchen window.
The question we have concerns the smaller one. It was outgrowing its pot, so about 3-4 weeks ago he repotted it, and while he was at it he divided it into 3 smaller pots. Within a day or two a couple of the smaller leaves turned a light brown/yellow and fell off. We figured that was just due to the shock of repotting and weren't too worried about it, but now a couple more leaves are turning brown. Anyone have any ideas? They're all in the same window, so I don't think it's the light.
Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Questbest #196834 Mar 29th, 2008 at 07:35 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by Questbest
Wow-those are gorgeous-mine are the same except not in bloom right now.So feed once a month. But do they have to be in bloom first?Thanx so much for the pictures and for the help.And by the way_I'm so jealous-I can see the grass getting green outside your window-we still have snow here in ON, Canada.

Thanks Quest ...
Dont be jealous, it was 27º her this morning.. YOu probably have a beautiful scene there all the time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
FaeryWings #196837 Mar 29th, 2008 at 07:39 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by FaeryWings
My husband has a couple of orchids that he's had for 6-7 years. One is a phalaenopsis that's doing great. The other one is smaller, but I don't know the name of it. They've both bloomed many times and have grown and thrived in our northeast kitchen window.
The question we have concerns the smaller one. It was outgrowing its pot, so about 3-4 weeks ago he repotted it, and while he was at it he divided it into 3 smaller pots. Within a day or two a couple of the smaller leaves turned a light brown/yellow and fell off. We figured that was just due to the shock of repotting and weren't too worried about it, but now a couple more leaves are turning brown. Anyone have any ideas? They're all in the same window, so I don't think it's the light.
Thanks for your help.

Nancy

I never heard you can divide them.
They like being crowded is what I understand.. Phal. is what 3 of mine are. The one on the photo is that.

Get it out of he sun. Mine is North window. Just a hint of sun an on the cold window sill , you will notice. All winter there . My man just loves it .
Now my other 5 havent ever bloomed.. Younger, different types .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #201463 Apr 14th, 2008 at 05:06 PM
OP Offline
Just to clarify-only feed when in bloom?Or just once /per month anyway bloom or not?

Linda
Questbest #201469 Apr 14th, 2008 at 05:20 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
wavy

Once a month regardless..
Is what I do.......
Mine is getting new roots or something right now..But does look great.
Now my banana tree is going wild.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #201586 Apr 15th, 2008 at 04:51 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Dodge are any of the orchids that are blooming for you the ones you got from Nor? Mine haven't bloomed yet and the odd one is still tiny and doesn't seem to have grown at all. They are under A CSF bulb and no where near the windows lol. I had to take down the window shelves for the move so everything is sitting under csf bulbs lol.

Love your flower spike it looks great.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201591 Apr 15th, 2008 at 05:22 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
TK no blooms on Nor orchids. One is getting a inch growth. They are still same size and I am doing the same as for the rest .. ONly on the east widow.. Isnt that odd, how slow they are?

My new ones from Lowes last year are not bloomers either.. BUt do grow.

DId you get the trailer place you bid on?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #201634 Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:08 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got the second place I bid on. It is a doublewide trailer with 1344 sq feet. I'm going to rattle around in there but there is plenty of space for the flowers. I'm thinking of doing an under cabinet florescent at the breakfast nook and then load the Orchids up on that counter since I have a formal dinningroom. That way I can use the kitchen side for additional counter space without it looking bad in the livingroom. It's either that or get those accordian styled slate shutters for that space. Who knows maybe a combination of both.

I even have a deck so I can build all kinds of flowerboxes for part shade flowers to hang out in.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201645 Apr 15th, 2008 at 01:11 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding: rose :ding:

Tk, Happy to hear that....Now you can play till your hearts content.

Are you in it now?

2 of my neices have the double wides.. They seem content..
Large picture windows.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #201815 Apr 16th, 2008 at 06:36 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No I don't move until May 29th. I've packed up just about everything in the apartment so far so I won't have much to do on moving day except get everything in the truck.

The doublewide has a bay window that I just love facing Southwest. And it slopes up to the street so I'll have a really wonderful view once I get everything terraced and planted. That will be a decade long job but I have plans lol.

I have a fireplace too. I'll have to see if it is the energy efficient model but if it isn't, it will be lol. So many chores to do. lol

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201824 Apr 16th, 2008 at 08:09 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Sounds great TK,

Nothing like a place of your own.
I have a fireplace, but we don't use it.. I arent sweeping wood and ashes across the carpet every day.

To each his own.. You just have fun doing it .
Memories last a life time.
When you need seeds and stuff, holler.

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #201885 Apr 16th, 2008 at 02:23 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Fireplace ash is where I can make my own potash. So I definitely will be using the fireplace for heating. And since I don't use lighter fluid to start my fires the ash will be good for the garden.

Between that and the compost plus the "christmas trees" I want to have I should have good compost both regular and acid lol. Anything I can do to save a penny.

Well I am well off topic here. So I'll just say, you give me hope that when I see some pretty orchids at lowe's I can add them to my cart.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201913 Apr 16th, 2008 at 04:21 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Then I wish you Hopeness.LOL

They are the ultimate.. My white is the only one to bloom each year . So far.

That one keeps getting bigger and bigger leaves. It is such a thrill to see it bloom. You started me.. thumbup

I have wanted a bay window for years and HD was going to do it , but working 2 jobs didnt get it done..LOL
Oh well my upstairs is doing great. My banana tree is huge . rose

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image