Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#197086 Mar 30th, 2008 at 05:24 AM
OP Offline
You just have to love when the African Violets explode in to bloom with new growth and vigor.

[Linked Image]

You just have to love when the African Violets explode in to bloom with new growth and vigor.

[Linked Image]

I purchased these over a year ago, but they did not bloom last summer but this year looks real good, they probably just needed a rest.

[Linked Image]

There will be a plethora of growth in the near future.

The infinitesimally small seed that produces the giant is the winner...

Clive Webmaster of The Writers Voice
Cliver_McGyver #197106 Mar 30th, 2008 at 07:14 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Beautiful! I've never been able to keep AVs for more than a month when I buy them

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #197109 Mar 30th, 2008 at 07:31 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
those are beautiful!

#197133 Mar 30th, 2008 at 09:54 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Those look GREAT! I can't keep them blooming for very long either, Kenny.
I have a couple of plants hanging in there, but no flowers for a very long time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #197171 Mar 30th, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
for years i never had too many flowers - had growth of leaves though. then i moved to an apt that only had one window that was decent for sunlight - west facing.

the av's bloomed started blooming regularly a few times a year.

then i bought my house - and no decent windows for the av's so no flowers. ended up being given a lighted plant stand. the combination of the lights (on timers) and putting the av's into self-watering pots has given me blooms all year round.

proper lighting and water make a big difference with these guys!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #197184 Mar 30th, 2008 at 12:08 PM
OP Offline
I do all my watering based on the weight of the plant in the pot instead of sticking my finger in to the pot. These are all in 4" plastic pots and always watered from below with as much as the soil can suck up and the left over discarded that hour. I let them become very light or quite dry between watering.

This far north, there is not a lot of sun in a day. I use Schultz plant food every second watering and at the end of January I gave then all a good watering with a 15-30-15 to promote the flowers or so I have learned from the net and practice. I made a 4 section high corner shelf with fancy cinder blocks and fir plywood with a fancy molding on the edge with walnut stain. Then moulted florescent grow lights for each section and on a timer. This shelf was only for African violets and only ones I started my self from clippings. I used the hydro-culture for all the plants and they grew for many years till I moved and had crap light.

I want to get a collection of Gloxinas this summer I think they are a most impressive plant.

I am itching to get my garden tilled and this morning I looked out at 5 inches of fresh snow...

The infinitesimally small seed that produces the giant is the winner...

Clive Webmaster of The Writers Voice
Cliver_McGyver #197197 Mar 30th, 2008 at 01:01 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I just realized, you're another northerner! I water based on weight as well, I think I'm learning my 'green touch' lol You're got me now, I'm going to see if I can get an AV soon

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #197222 Mar 30th, 2008 at 02:17 PM
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Those are very pretty.
I have my first Mini-AFV blooming now.

[Linked Image]

Have 2 more putting on buds.

[Linked Image]

These are of 10 cuttings I was sent in January. They are very delicate blooms are real small love them. Also I have them on Light carts I use just for them and my Nepenthes cuttings of which I potted up 5 plants this morning I took cutting of in December and 1 Nepenthes Gentile a friend I work with gave me a cutting of last fall.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
Jimmy V #197577 Mar 31st, 2008 at 05:56 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
H love your African Violets.

I hade a white one once, that was tinged with purple. I started it from a cutting.---eventually I had 2 plants. One died, so I gave the other to my MIL, as she does wonders with them---

hummmmmmm-=-I guess i will see if she has it yet & get another cutting & try again. :wink:

I have all of your information copied, Joclyn & Cliver. it gives me hope. thanks.

Jimmy, I have not ever seen a minature AF before, very interesting.

Last edited by JunieGirl; Mar 31st, 2008 at 05:57 AM.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #197610 Mar 31st, 2008 at 09:13 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Wow, I love that blue one! flwr

I have about 10 AV's, and all of them are in bloom right now except for a few small ones.....I just love them, nothing like having some blooms inside to cheer you up thru the gloom of winter and early spring.

#201625 Apr 15th, 2008 at 10:54 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I've had my A.V. for about 4 years now. What a challenging plant to grow! in early winter I evidentally watered mine with water that was too cold. at least from the reading I did that is what it seemed like happened to mine. I have not had a bloom since. before that though mine would bloom several times a year. I lost so many leaves it seems the plant is now in a too big of a pot. should I bump it down to a smaller one, or just hold out for it to improve?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #201631 Apr 15th, 2008 at 11:59 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I am growing AV's for the first time. I started last summer. I bought one, my neighbor gave me one and a friend gave me some babies so there are 2 of two different kinds. I'll divide them when I get to the new house. I'm intending them to go in a room that gets north east sun. It's the dinningroom. I'm planning on the jasmine being in there also. It's going to be so exciting having plants here and there throughout the house. That's one nice thing about going from 525 feet to 1344 feet I have lots of room for more plants lol.

I have one of the white ones with a purple tip, a dark purple one and then one that is more burgandy, 2 that there the pink and the other one is still a baby and hasn't bloomed yet.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201636 Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:26 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I got some small windowboxes at the Dollar Tree yesterday and I figured I'd crowd some AV's in them.......I have so many, I thought I had 10 but it's more like 15. lol

[Linked Image]

#201649 Apr 15th, 2008 at 02:29 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'd just leave your AV in the pot it's already in. You don't want to take a chance adding more stress to it. Just wait and see, hopefully it will come back soon.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #201821 Apr 16th, 2008 at 07:14 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Thanks! I'll leave her be.
I rvcd my first AV from a co-worker. About a week after she gave it to me she took it upon herself to add some fertilizer sticks to it. In about another week it was burning up. I tried to dig them out, but they had disolved. When she saw it burning she felt just terrible. I was nursing it back to health and was very proud of myself for doing so with a plant I'd never grown before and with one that I'd heard to be so difficult. All of a sudden I came in one monday morning and she had replaced my AV with a new one she bought! I was a bit hot. ha ha she said she wanted 'my first experience with an AV to be a positive one'. ha ha. I was thinking...I think you ruined that one for me by swiping her up, after I fixed her up, after you burnt her up. ha ha (just had to share that with you all)

Cricket

cricket #201890 Apr 16th, 2008 at 02:30 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
i'm sure she had the very best of intentions when she did that. I had a very black thumb for a very long time and being an impatient person I can understand how she could have authored that series of disasters.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #201897 Apr 16th, 2008 at 02:52 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Of course I could not stay irritated with her. It was one of those situtions where as soon as it's over its rather funny!

Cricket

cricket #202137 Apr 17th, 2008 at 09:13 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm new to this site and trying to figure out how to add a pic. (...maybe theres a photo below???)

[Linked Image]

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image