Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198541 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 04:56 PM
tboss Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I would love to grow a few veggies for my hubby and myself, but i do not have alot of room to work with. My question is, can you grow veggies in 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in them or small flat boxes with drain holes in them?

thanks for all your help

tboss #198577 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 06:30 PM
You don't mention what you had in mind for vegetables, but my wife & I have had good luck growing tomatoes, bell & hot peppers in 5 gallon sized planters. We were given some long plastic box planters like the kind most people use for flowers but we did bush beans & radishes in them. All turned out well. My only advice is from finding out the hard way- is to anchor your tomato pails down-with stakes, sticks and/or twine or something because as they get bigger the wind loves to blow them over! I also pruned the tomatoes to keep them a nice bush size, but you can get hybrid tomatoes bred for container planting, we just never bought them.

Good luck!

Soilmover #198588 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 06:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've grown nearly everything from beans to zucchini in 5 gallon buckets. it all went as well as i monitored the water. i prefer it as i get older. i'm just not up to hoeing a long row (or short one for that matter) of veggies of any kind.

and i used food grade buckets that various restaurants gave me. drilled holes in the bottoms and went for it.

#198617 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 08:06 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Hi Jiffy! kissie Good advice.
Yep, anything can be grown in containers. Corn would be a challenge, but tomatoes, cukes, squash, you name it, will do fine as long as you water. 5 gallons may be more than you need for some. I grow peppers and some tomatoes in 3 gallon containers. Leaf lettuce and radishes, spinach, others do great in anything with a depth of 6 or 8 inches of soil.

dave
peppereater #198802 Apr 3rd, 2008 at 07:14 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
would you believe, i grew corn 3 years ago in buckets? i had 4 stalks, 2 per bucket, and got one ear. but i'd have done better if i had remember to water lol that was a bad year for me, but everything i started came up and gave me something to eat!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image