Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#199388 Apr 6th, 2008 at 04:15 PM
OP Offline
Hello.. I've never grown a garden before, so please bare with me!!
I am wanting to plant some various veggies and herbs, but I'm not sure when to plant anything. I know the weather here is beautiful these days, but I don't want to plant things too early..... or too late!
I'm wanting to grow some of the following:
Onions (white)
Tomatos
Green peppers
Zucchini
Chives
and maybe even some raspberries and/or strawberries

If anyone could give me some idea about when I should be planting these - it would be greatly appreciated. I'll probably end up just going to Lowes and getting the starter plants they have there, but I don't know if I should be getting seeds instead?

Thanks,
Cass

You can definitely buy seedlings at a garden center. There is no need to start your own seeds unless you want to save money or grow varieties that are not readily available as plants.
You could ask at a garden center when to plant for your area but they are notoriously wrong. Most don't know very much (except my mom! rolz). Try to go to a local news show website for local weather facts. At least our local news has a lot of info on last frost date and calendars and things. they also have a garden call in segment and stuff.
You can plant onions (usually as 'sets'- baby hard onions from the store) as soon as the ground isn't wet, sloppy and cold. The other veggies have to wait until the ground warms and the risk of frost is past. Herbs like chives are very hardy (member of the onion family) and can be planted soon. They stay green when it is very cold. Tender herbs like basil, cilantro, etc are very touchy to cold. Wait until you plant your tomatoes to plant those if desired.
My *guess* for your zone is the onions will be ok now and the warmer veggies the first or second week of May to be safe.

OP Offline
Great - thank you Tamara! I thought of asking at Lowes, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a clue.. hence why I found these forums! :)

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Definitely plant the zucchini from seed, in clusters of 3 seeds...you may not find plants, and they really take of from seed anyway. Chives should be easy from seed. I'd plant the onions now, buy the bundles of plants or the bulbs. Like Tamara said, as long as the ground can be worked, they'll be okay, they can take frost. I think mid May would be fine for the zucchini, peppers and tomatoes, you should buy tom's and peppers as plants until you get a feel for gardening and stating things from seed. Raspberries and strawberries should go in the ground as soon as you can find some.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,896
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image