Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#199602 Apr 7th, 2008 at 06:17 PM
OP Offline
I am hoping to plant flowers in my former vegetable garden area if I get a garden to rent. So I am plotting out what I want to do in there. It is half sun I believe on the one end and light shade on the other. The soil is sandy/loamy BUT the roots of the neighbors trees suck all the life out of it. So I have to have dry ok plants, except I was thinking under the bird bath could be some more moist liking plants. So the area is 22'square and bordered on two sides by picket fence. I grow sweet peas on the fence (with netting). My main question right now (I will have others and need suggestions for sure! :wink:) is about lily of the valley. It is my favorite flower ever and down a couple miles is a secret huge area of it in a non-owned ditch. I pick it every year. I would like to dig some up and put it under the bench I want to put in the area, but what should I do to cover it when it gets ugly? So far it is just an idea. I had planned to possibly have some areas of gravel and walking path in the garden too but I don't know about covering the lily of valley in gravel. I know you can't kill it easily! Any ideas for covering it in summer? Would daylilies cover it ok?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well you would have to replace it every year but you could just mulch it after the lillies are done.

I don't know if daylilies would work or not. I don't have any experience with those.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #199671 Apr 8th, 2008 at 05:09 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I grow daylillies, they are easy to grow. You just have to plant things that bloom at different times of the year, that way when one thing dies back another will fill in and cover it.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I grow daylillies down here in Texas too. I had no idea they'd also grow in Canada. (I'm learning so much from this sight!) Yes, they are very easy to grow. Mine are in a flower bed that doesn't get as much water as the lilly would like, but it still blooms nicly.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #199983 Apr 8th, 2008 at 09:28 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
my neighbor gave me a clump of daylily (orange type) and there were some lily of the valley mixed in - the combo works just fine and the l-o-v hasn't gotten out of hand - well, as of last season, that is. this will be the third year since i got them transplanted - i don't think they will be too bad though.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #200003 Apr 9th, 2008 at 04:31 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have lavender and yellow sedum planted around mine.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
that sounds like a great color combination. I really like it. I wish I were that much of a designer when it comes to color but I'm not.

I just put them all together and hope for the best.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #200185 Apr 9th, 2008 at 05:17 PM
OP Offline
Lavender isn't hardy here but I do grow it in pots. So sometimes lily of the valley don't get real ugly in summer but usually they do. I suppose maybe spreading petunias or something like that would work.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, what zone are you in? I'm in zone 3/4 and they are hardy here.

lily of the valley doesn't do well here...we're just opposite.

OP Offline
Lavender is zone 5 but sometimes it will overwinter in certain areas. I have seen it once or twice perennial in MN but it has not survived year after year.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Strange...I wonder if I have the tag here. There are so many different types..mine is a shorter variety.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image