Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#199393 Apr 6th, 2008 at 04:52 PM
OP Offline
I have a lavender plant that I put in the ground last year in late spring. It started out as a very small, compact little plant. Last year, it bloomed sparingly and grew quite big. I cut down the scraggily stems in the winter. Now, it seems, that the older branches in the middle are worn out, and there is newer growth along the outer rim. What should I do? Should I cut back the inner stems? Here are some pictures I took today:

lavender
lavender
lavender

Thanks for your help.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
wavy I have the same type lavender,, I cut it down 1/3 at the beginning of every spring and scratch in epsom salt into the soil surrounding it, and water it in a little,, When you cut it down 1/3 be sure NOT to cut in the the woody growths as that is it's main life line! thumbup Thru out the spring and summer where ever it looked 'leggy' I cut those leggy growths down 1/3 as well, and gave it another dose of epsom salt in the mid summer, approx 1/3 cup scratched into the soil,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
I think your plant looks like it's doing ok. I bet you see new growth on the "inside" stems soon enough. I have lavender too and it usually really starts growing in about a month. Good Luck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
Av8trx #199873 Apr 8th, 2008 at 05:47 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I did a little trimming on my 2 today, they are in the exact same shape as your pictures.

#199928 Apr 8th, 2008 at 07:54 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
They will grow nicely and bloom Just give them time,, Have you fertilized yours yet Loz??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
No. blush I haven't.....I just bought them last year so I'm not real familiar with the care of Lavender.....so Epsom Salts? How much? wavy

#204853 Apr 27th, 2008 at 09:33 AM
What does epsom salt do for it? I've never heard of putting it around lavender.

Learn something new every day.

~*~Starla~*~
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image