Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
AliciaN Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, my name's Alicia and I only really have one plant in my flower bed right now, and I love that plant. I live in a condo association, though, and the landscapers mowed my beloved Peony to the ground today. It just peeked above ground around April 1st, I was keeping a photo-diary of its progress this year and this is a sad end to that, indeed.

I don't know what to do, will it live? Will it come back next year? Is there *anything* I can do to help ensure it will survive (e.g., cover the stem nubs with soil, pray...)?
Thank you, green thumbs, for any suggestions.. I'm sorry I had to join your community under such sad circumstances :(

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
First, protect your plant with a stake or two for the next assassination attempt. It is still early in the season. Your plant wants to live even more than you want it to. So you might see some recovery from it yet. Other than the stakes, no mounds will help it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, and I should have said welcome to TGH. We can be a fun group

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi and welcome AliciaN.

Your peony will survive. My mom has mowed over hers a few times. You might be better off to put a stake ring around it so they'll see where it is but other than that you don't have to do a thing...don't cover it. You'll see some new growth starting from the base pretty soon.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
welcome !!

Have you considered making a circuler mesh cage to fit over it? you could leave it around the little bush until it was big enough that the gardener could not mow it down. You could also have a talk with him. perhaps he didn't realize what he had done. if this is the case, without a barrier and or having spoken to him this might happen again.

Good luck !

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
AliciaN Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, Junie, Tamara, and Jonni- I'm relieved that it will come back! I plan to stop by the nursery today (or home depot, or lowes, wherever I can find more peonies) and I'm going to make it excruciatingly clear that this is a flower bed. I'll put up a little fence around it, weed it (surely that didn't help matters.. there's clover around the plant) and put down fresh mulch. Since I like this one so much, might as well add more to the bed :) I'll definitely put up stakes as well, and I'm sure it says somewhere on here how to properly secure a top-heavy plant so it doesn't plop over under the weight of the blossoms.
Thanks again, everybody! Glad to be joining y'all and excited to learn more about gardening :)

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
welcome!!

yes, it should regrow whatever was cut down. i agree with getting stakes and fencing.

i'd also call the association and notify them that this happened. and contact the lawn service directly, too!! a flowerbed is something pretty clearcut and delineated from the grass (even without the little fence border things)...even an idiot can see there's a difference...

if for some reason the peony doesn't regrow you'll want the incident on record so that you can get reimbursed (by the lawn service) for the replacement costs.

since it was only cut back (and not removed) it should continue it's growth - will just be a bit shorter than it would have been otherwise.

Zone 6b
AliciaN Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you!

I did call the association, right away. I already talked to the manager of the landscaping company, he didn't agree to pay for the plants (which includes an ivy they whacked down last summer :/ ) but he did apologize profusely and said he would take the guys over to my unit the next time they're out there and make sure everyone is clear that it's a flower bed and to avoid the area. By the time they come back, though, I'll have better marked off the area.

Time to see if the ends I found this morning can be rooted like cuttings.. I'm really fixated on saving this plant!

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
just to cover yourself...might want to put what was said during the conversation in a letter and send it certified/return receipt.

especially since they got the ivy last year. if the peony doesn't bounce back (and i really think it will since the tuber is still there in the ground) they should reimburse you for it...it's not cheap (like the ivy).

i don't know if the cut bits will root. worth a try though!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image