Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
My parents are wondering why would I want to grow flowers? why I know that they attract bees and can help pollinate my veggies.Are there any more advantages to growing flowers next to or with a vegetable garden?

Waiting for fall...
Because they are beautiful????????

Some flowers, such as a marigold, have the added ability to be a natural pest deterant, due to the smell.

Carol

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
As Carol said, they will help deter some insects, things like nasturtiums (attracts bugs to itself instead of your veggies), marigolds and tansy (repels most insects), lavender and rosemary (repels slugs and snails), garlic or anything in the allium family (does wonders keeping most insects at bay) and a few more I can't think of. But I also heard mint and basil can deter insects as well.

Another reason...girls love flowers lol I'm already having people ask for tulips and daffodils!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Forgot to add, established flowering plants can help increase property value (I bet your parent's won't know what to say to that!)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
to add to what the others were saying........your best bet when growing veggies is to have a variety of plants and flowers around. Grab a book or search the internet on 'companion planting'. You'll have a valid argument to use with your parents!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I've heard of companion planting.I think I know some things about it like planting marigolds next to vegetable plants.

Waiting for fall...
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
There is something called butterfly weed that works well around veggies too. It atracts aphids. they get on the butterfly weed and off the veggies. in turn, lady bugs are atracted to eat up the aphids. The butterfly weed gets pretty tall though...4-5 feet. they make a really pretty flower and they reseed themselves.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
There is something called butterfly weed that works well around veggies too. It atracts aphids. they get on the butterfly weed and off the veggies. in turn, lady bugs are atracted to eat up the aphids. The butterfly weed gets pretty tall though...4-5 feet. they make a really pretty flower and they reseed themselves.

Asclepias, also known as "milkweed". They are also essential to the future of the Monarch butterfly. Plant them where you don't care, cuz they are great to have, but sometimes look a bit ratty. thumbup

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,905
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image