Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#198144 Apr 1st, 2008 at 04:37 PM
OP Offline
My new aloe plants are in large pots, sitting on my front porch; however, they now have brown tips. The weather here is only getting down into the 50s at night and getting up to the high 60s during the day. The plants have been watered but there is no standing water in the pots. There is plenty of drainage in the pots. What can be the problem?

Mike_Kelly #198203 Apr 1st, 2008 at 07:19 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
How Much sun do they get?? Here in TX I have mine in the part shade,, it gets plenty of morning sun, but afternoon shade,, and I barely water them they don't require a lot of water as they are succulents and store water in the leaves,, ,, I would hold off on watering for a bit they don't mind being a little dry and neglected. A clay pot with a sandy soil mixture is best for drainage,, plastic pots would hold the moisture in longer possibly promoting root or stem root. Remember you just got them and they need to adjust to their new surroundings.

BTW wavy Welcome to the Gardenhelper . We're glad to have you! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #198409 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 08:56 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, I keep them on the front porch and they get sunlight during most of the afternoon. I will not water them again for several weeks. They are in clay pots with potting soil and have a base of stones for drainage.

Mike_Kelly #198559 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 05:31 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Let us know how they do,, They sound like they're in the right conditions,, clay pot and all! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #198589 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 06:56 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Don't be surprised if they get sunburned and turn brown. I've had that happen with many succulents in full afternoon sun. Especially aloe plants. They usually green up again when I bring them indoors for winter though.

You might want to move them to a less sunny place if you want to keep them green. It's a matter of personal choice really.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #198593 Apr 2nd, 2008 at 07:06 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have to agree with Lynne That's why Mine only get morning sun,, I like them green rather than darker browns.. When it's summer here I move mine so they only get sun from 7 am to 10 am then shade the rest of the day,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #200903 Apr 12th, 2008 at 09:49 AM
weird question to add in... I also have had browning and combatted it by moving them to less sun... however, my problem is my babies are not even toddlers anymore! Does anyone know if I can top them off without hurting much, (they are so heavy that they uproot themselves)? How about processing the leaves afterwards - does anyone have any idea how to process and keep them for use?

Snapdragon
snapdragon #203636 Apr 22nd, 2008 at 01:41 PM
OP Offline
Hi, I have moved my Aloe to a spot where they get only morning sun. I will need to move them again when summer gets here. They seem to be doing quite well in their new location. They are getting rained on right now, but that happens here during the spring months. I'll keep you posted on what happens to them, but for now they seem to be thriving and growing. My wife cut off one leaf and is using it on her hair as a conditioning agent. She is from Brazil and uses aloe and other vegetation in her soaps and hair treatments.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image