Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#189087 Mar 5th, 2008 at 02:46 PM
Sall Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi All

I've had my aloe vera plant for about 3 years now and it has grown thick and long 'leaves' (sorry, don't know what you call them in this case!), unofrtuantely the leaves are so thick and long that the plant hasn't been able to support them properly and the weight has meant the lower ones have snapped. The plant has continued to send new shoots up the centre and I am now left with a plant that is beginning to grow along horizontally as it's base has been compromised by its insistance in growing up, and it's weight has dragged it down! It has not sent out any new baby plants from the base as I understand these plants usually do. I have tried repotting it but do not want to bury the plant deeper for fear of the base rotting. It is also becoming a bit delicat to handle as the stem has bcome so bent over and all the weight is higher up the plant. Can anyone help as, despite its lovely thick green new shoots it's starting to look as if it's led a very hard life?!
Many thanks

Sall #189126 Mar 5th, 2008 at 04:18 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Could you get a little cage for it to keep it up? Or put some little wooden pieces in the soil around the edges and tie string around them to keep it standing up?

I'd try to stake it or prop it up somehow.

#198884 Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
My first thought would be to put it in the ground....but your from UK....sounds like it'd be too cold.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #200906 Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:11 AM
I have the same issues from time to time with aloe. I have previously cut the root down so that there is not so much plant in so little put (the plant continued to do well for several years afterward). My plants are topheavy too, so I have asked if anyone knows about topping them. They uproot themselves due to their weight and are quite a lot of work if given a pot by themselves (they don't mind being crowded and often do not have as many problems when they are with lots of little ones). If I get an answer, I'll be sure to forward it on to you, Sall. Where in the UK are you (it is after all a large place with lots of different weather)?

Snapdragon
snapdragon #201036 Apr 12th, 2008 at 07:08 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
What if your soil was a bit more sandy? you think that'd give the roots a bit more support? Have you tried cutting some of the lower leaves, or would that just add to the top heaviness of it? I don't know about cutting on the tops?

Cricket

cricket #201070 Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:30 PM
Soil is fairly sandy and allowed to dry between waterings. The lower leaves end up broken often anyway because of the top being so heavy that it weighs on the rest of the plant. They have beautiful color so I know they're healthy, but the older plants (some as much as 10 years) just don't have the strength to hold themselves (yes, I tried propping with bamboo and whatnot too). I think topping it might be my only way to go. Then I can grind those leaves down in my blender.... wonder how long they'll keep.

Snapdragon
snapdragon #201440 Apr 14th, 2008 at 01:22 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I just gotta ask.......what do you do with the blended up Aloe?

Cricket

cricket #201445 Apr 14th, 2008 at 02:48 PM
I just recently purchased an aloe plant and did some research, I did find out that you should plant them in wider/shorter pots instead of tall pots that are narrowower. The reason for that is the roots of an aloe plant grow sideways instead of down. Hope this helps. By the way, my plant is doing good so far, I hope it stays that way.

Florida_grower #201455 Apr 14th, 2008 at 03:52 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I usually manage to kill mine before the pot gets full

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #202177 Apr 17th, 2008 at 04:19 PM
Once I grind down the leaves, I package it up in freezer containers. Dress them up pretty and hand them to friends as start of summer gifts. Sunburn is popular around here (we're only an hour from the beach!) I don't, however, know how long it lasts in the freezer. It's not completely liquid, thicker, colloidal, but it really does nice on a bad burn.
All my baby plants get repotted in throw away pots for my students. As the seniors graduate, they are gifted a plant with the label "Keep growing".

Snapdragon
snapdragon #202779 Apr 19th, 2008 at 08:00 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Cool. You sound very crafy! I use the aloe mostly for burns and dry skin. We do a lot of camp fires here on the property in winter time. Some brave sole is always getting a little too close and takes off some hide from time to time. Ha ha. people are so surprised when I yank off a leaf of aloe and tell them to put it on their burn several times and the next day they wont feel a thing. they tease me about my 'plant healing abilities' and laugh...until the next day....when they say oh yea...I did get burned...where's the mark?!
I also use the aloe for dry skin in the winter. I'm very alergic to all that great smelling lotion. the aloe is wonderful.

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,888
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image