Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202721 Apr 19th, 2008 at 04:48 PM
OP Offline
Hi, My Jade plant was once a full and healthy plant and then started to drop off leaves and branches. It looks healthy but slowly some of the stems are shriveling and flopping. I've been letting the soil dry out and i measure the moisture level and only watering a little bit.

There are still 3 solid stocks so I'd like to save what i can.

Here are some pics of the plant. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I've only grown a jade for a short while before I killed it with too much watering. Another cause I can think of is change of environment if you've recently moved it.

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
jades are succulents. they need very well-draining soil (cactus mix) and should be potted in unglazed clay that has drainage holes at the bottom. the soil should be allowed to dry out completely before watering thoroughly. bright light to full sun.

the soil you have there is regular soil and it doesn't drain too well and will hold moisture for longer than a jade likes. looks like you've got some root rot and/or the trunks have rot as well.

first thing is to get some cactus soil and an unglazed clay pot and repot it. before putting in the new digs, please take a really, really good look at the roots...anything that is dark and/or mushy should be cut away. put in the new soil and let it sit for at least 10 days (preferably 14) before you give the soil a good & thorough watering. by that i mean put some water in and let it soak down. repeat. then repeat again. at that point, you should be seeing some water coming out the bottom, if not or if it's only a dribble, do another bit of water. let it sit and drain out the excess water and then discard the water in the drip tray. keep track of how much water you gave it as it should need the same amount the next time and that should be in about two weeks for that size container.

when you examine roots, also feel the bases of the trunks...if they are soft/mushy you're best bet is to cut off the rotted area and let it form new roots. if you need to do that, let it dry for about a week before you plant it - and definitely don't water for two weeks after planting unrooted cuttings.

jades are succulents and they store water in their trunks and most especially in the leaves so they can handle a few weeks without any water.

good luck!

Zone 6b
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Great explanation Joclyn,, thumbup I just learned a few things on jades my self!! clap Thank you! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Yes. Thanks for the great reply!

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you're quite welcome!! please post some pics of it after you've dealt with it...

as for the knowledge - i wish i'd had it years ago. i had this beautiful jade tree - was probably 15 years old - more than a foot tall, gorgeous 2 inch trunk and perfectly symetrical branching. spent a chunkachange on it (i splurged because i just fell in love with it at ott's).

so, i had it for about a year; it was doing really well.

then the stray showed up. i couldn't turn him away - poor thing had been obviously abused and was clearly starving (for food and love). i'd lost my 17 year-old kitty a couple years before, so i was ready for a new buddy.

oh, boy! he was the wild-child with capital letters!! literally bounced off the walls; swung from the chandelier and got into everything!

i came home from work one day to find the jade upside down on the floor and he'd peed on the root ball. i cried when i threw it out. i didn't know then that i could have cut the trunk off and re-rooted it.

i got a new jade the following spring after rusty did that...it's just a tiny thing though - will be years before it gets anywhere near a decent size like that other one. i've really gotten into succulents since then and have done a lot of research on care of the different types.

every time i see someone post about a jade, i remember that one...and want to kill the cat again. he's still that wild-child with capital letters, too. i love him though, even for all he's a pain in the tush!

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
Good job Joclyn, jades can be beautiful, but touchy to handle.

I moved mine one year from a bright spot to a slightly less lighted area and I ended up losing all my bottom leaves. Now I'm careful where I move it to. If you need to move a jade do it gradually.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
oh, yes!! jades will definitely pout when their conditions change - whether it's more or less sun or watering, moving to a new container, more heat/cold air. and they DO drop the leaves when they pout...gotta love them though - especially when they are in bloom!!

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've never seen one in bloom, now you really have me interested. When does this usually happen? Mine is about 5 years old.

[Linked Image]

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
for blooms, i don't think age is an issue...i think it's more a 'growing conditions' thing.

i've seen pics of them in bloom - and every pic was from someone in zone 9 or 10 where they can leave the plants outside for most of the year (if not all the time). growing tropical/sub tropical things outside is always better as they get better sunlight (the glass in the windows really cuts it down).

we may be too far north for the right lighting - even if we put them out in the summer. not sure. i don't usually put my indoor plants outside in the summer (i've plenty enough outside already in the various beds). hmmm, maybe i should try that with the jade - just to see if it'll bloom!

google for pics of their flowers...although they're small, they're very pretty.

Zone 6b
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
my grandmother's used to bloom all the time. it was in a west facing window and slightly crowded. i've had other's bloom since then, same conditions.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Thought I'd add just another jade problem a touch similar to this one. My jade's bottom leaves turned soft on me and it seemed they wanted to fall off. So I read up on this link and realized that I had been giving too much water.

www.thegardenhelper.com/jade.html

I thought for sure I'd lose my plant but so far it seems the leaves are getting their firmness back again.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,953
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image