Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202724 Apr 19th, 2008 at 04:54 PM
OP Offline
We had a flock of dark birds move in one day and two stayed and have been building a nest in our gas grill. We have used the grill twice and they have put the stuff back in. I am not sure what these birds are but I want to find out if there is a way to give them an alternative nest.
They are dark birds, male black, female dark brown; the size of a robin and have a skinny beak. So I looked at pictures of grackles and starlings because I can never keep them straight but neither look right because they have fatter beaks. So if anyone can help identify them that would be great.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I would say Starlings are the most likely suspects. Starlings' feathers and bills change colors with the seasons, and they are the only "Black" birds that I know of that WOULD nest in a grill. See if you can get some pictures. That will cinch and ID for me.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
OP Offline
Yup they are starlings. They put a ton of stuff in the grill now! you wouldn't believe it! I feel bad about all their work making a nest and me destroying it so I put their nesting stuff in a moss basket but I hear they won't nest in there. I wish I could help them even though they are just starlings.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Starlings are NOT native to the U.S. and have single-handedly destrpyed almost all the Eastern bluebirds in North America. They are NOT protected by law in the U.S., so I say let them fend for themselves, and drive them out of our yards.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image