Print Thread
Rate Thread
#202908 Apr 20th, 2008 at 04:06 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
An old neighbor had one plum tree and it produced loads of sweet plums. What I don't know whas what kind it was. Can anyone tell me if there is a dwarf plum tree that produces sweet plums. I like them better than the tart. And if so what is it's name. Also does it self polinate? And how old does it have to be before it starts baring fruit?

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
up please

[Linked Image]
There are two types of plums - Japanese and European. They cannot pollinate each other. Japanese plums flower earlier than the English. I have one Methley (Jap, self fertile) and two European (Stanley & Green Gage). The European ones are only two years old, so they are not producing yet. The Methley is 10 years old. It's a beautifully shaped tree and has gorgeous blooms every year. The problem is that the Japanese plums flower very early. I have only had plums from this tree one year because of late freezes. [Linked Image]

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
i'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with your weather. Are these plum trees dwarf?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,909
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image