why

Waiting for fall...
emdeGardener2 #203182 Apr 20th, 2008 at 09:58 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
neither do i but it tastes good!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #203185 Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:04 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I heard it tastes horrible!

Waiting for fall...
emdeGardener2 #203186 Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
I love it! it tastes great with sausage... made in the crockpot.. its sweet and sour at the same time its really good! but some people dont like it but i love it!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #203193 Apr 21st, 2008 at 04:23 AM
http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut

I think I liked it better before I knew how it was made <g>.

Sharon

Nicksgram #203255 Apr 21st, 2008 at 09:26 AM
Homemade sauerkraut is very good. [Linked Image] Several brands from the health food store are good. I don't much care for the regular canned kind from the grocery store. [Linked Image]

I haven't made any in a long time, but plan to do a batch again this year. I need to look it up, but I think the method I use is from Euell Gibbons.

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

decolady #203465 Apr 21st, 2008 at 06:58 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i usually buy either the kind in a jar (bush's or vlassic) or the kind in the bag in the refrigerator section. we eat it cooked with pork

#203524 Apr 21st, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
sauerkraut is pickled cabbage.

i've never liked it - which is bad since we're polish and it's part of the culture...it's actually only one of two things my parents didn't force...

the usual is sauerkraut with kielbasa - cooked in a pot on the stove usually (can be done in the oven) and you always put at least a half a can of beer in the water to add extra flavor and cut the vinegar. you can also do it with a ham, too.

it's also used in various side dishes - one called halusky is the kraut with egg noodles...that's actually not all that bad. i've only had that recently at the polish festival in the next town...it's not something i grew up with so i don't know how it's made. the kraut doesn't taste like kraut though. kind of a brownish sauce to it so it's probably cooked down fairly well and it probably has brown sugar or syrup in it, too.

the bagged stuff in the cold case with the other breakfast meats is better than the canned stuff.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #203824 Apr 23rd, 2008 at 08:48 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Sauerkraut with sausage is good. If you don't like the 'sauer' part just sweeten it a bit with sugar. I like it both ways. It also makes a great cold salad with a vinegar and sugar mix and a few veggies added to it.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #204011 Apr 23rd, 2008 at 06:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you rinse the sauerkraut it isn't as strong. if i'm eating it, i do that. if the whole family is eating, i use it strait out of the jar or bag. i don't buy the canned stuff ever.

the kids' godmother is german from germany, i buy what she told me to buy. i won't make it though. i know that it ferments and then turns to vinegar, like anything else preserved that way (can you say wine vinegar anyone?) but it is labor intensive and i don't like it that much!

we usually eat it over fried pork chops and mashed potatoes. it's also good on ham.

#204482 Apr 25th, 2008 at 01:14 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
If you boil it in beer it takes some of the acidity out of it! I like it either way! I don't think I would ever make it myself but I definitely enjoy eating it. We eat it with pork roast, brats, kielbasa, ruebens....all kinds of things!

#205663 Apr 30th, 2008 at 05:30 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
putting sauerkraut in the bottom of a baking dish, sautee pork chops until almost done, then lay on top of kraut and bake for about 30 minutes. The kraut actually tastes sweet without adding sugar. The chops are good too.

Bestofour #205687 Apr 30th, 2008 at 06:25 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I saw this topic and had to laugh.....because most people do not know how it is made. LOL.....if you ever get a chance to see/smell a batch being made, DON'T do it! There is a fermentation process and it looks and smells really nasty!

I come from a polish family and we usually have it with pork and mash potatoes...like Jiffy said. I LOVE it, Stephen hates it....so I don't get it much. Pretty much just on New Year's because it is what I ask to be made for dinner for my b-day. lol

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #217079 Jun 19th, 2008 at 10:56 PM
Sauerkraut Cake

This recipe is supposed to have been invented by German immigrants to this country. Whoever first developed it, I envy their courage. It is however, a moist delicious cake with absolutely no sauerkraut flavor. The pieces of snipped sauerkraut resemble coconut; Have all ingredients at room temperature.

2 ¼ cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cocoa
2/3 cup sauerkraut
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup water
Sift the flour with the baking powder, soda, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
Rinse and drain the sauerkraut. Snip it into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors. Cream the butter or margarine until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and cram until light. Add the eggs, 1 at a time and beat in well. Add the vanilla and blend. Now stir in the flour mixture alternately with the water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in the sauerkraut last. Turn batter into 2 8-inch round layer pans that have been buttered and floured. Tap pans lightly on a counter top to release excess air. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pans for 5 minutes before turning onto racks to cool .
Sour cream chocolate icing is very good on this cake.

Sour Cream Chocolate Icing
Makes enough to fill and frost 2 9-inch round layers or a 10-inch tube cake.
9 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butter or margarine
¾ cup commercial sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
3 ½ to 4 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar
Combine chocolate chips and butter or margarine in the top of a double boiler and melt over hot not boiling water. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend I the sour cream and vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar to make and easy to spread frosting .

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
Annell #217105 Jun 20th, 2008 at 04:09 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thansk for the recipe--I sent it to myself.

and I LOVE saurekraut.--My DH (The german person) does not like it at all. why

I like it warmed up with butter, salt & pepper on it.--However my weight watcher leader told me one time it makes you retain fluid for 7 days.--Ouch!!--

In my family we always cooked it with polish saugage & cut up potatoes.--Yummy for sure.---I have had it fried in the pork chop pan as well.--that too is yummy.

A friend of mine always made it in a crock pot with short ribs.--That recipe was good as well

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #217156 Jun 20th, 2008 at 07:54 AM
You are very welcome. My husband loves kraut, I am not too crazy about it but in this cake, I love it. lol
I don't know if there are any vitamins in kraut or not but if so, then I get my daily requirements when I bake this cake.

Hmmm, potatoes and polish sausage?

I make a dish that I put cabbage in with potatoes and sausage.

I slice some potatoes and put them in a skillet with a little oil and some sliced onions. I fry them for a little bit, turn over. I then shred cabbage and put on top of them and cut up polish sausage and place on top. I put a cover on this and let it cook for a little while, turn the mixture and kind of mix it together and cook til done.
Yummy.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
#217175 Jun 20th, 2008 at 09:13 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Sauer kraut is a German word. Sauer means "Sour". Kraut is German for "Cabbage". So, Sauerkraut LITERALLY means, "Sour Cabbage".

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,888
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image