Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203964 Apr 23rd, 2008 at 04:54 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
My house doesn't have all that much light, a couple of hours of south sunlight above the kitchen sink, and a hour or so of west evening sunlight in the dining room. My livingroom is on the northside so there is no sun at all. To make things even a tad darker, we have an overhang above this window? What large plant can I put in this low light room that will thrive and won't require that much light?

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
zz plant, peace lily, some hoyas would do very well in that southern window, china doll plant, money tree, lucky bamboo (which is actually a draceana), chinese evergreen, ponytail palm, fittonia, to name a few.

Zone 6b
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I really can't put anything in the southern window other than what I already have on the ledge above my kitchen sink. When you mention these plants, will they do good in the north exposure, it's the living room on the northside that I would like to put a big plant in.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the hoya would be the only one that wouldn't do well with the north facing windows all the rest would be fine.

most hoya do well in hanging baskets, so you could do that one in the kitchen if you've got good support beams to attach a plant hanger to.

Zone 6b
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ficus is another one. if you start out with a large plant, it will be fine in low light.

#207973 May 11th, 2008 at 06:10 AM
I just bought Mother In Law's Tongue for my low-light living room.

fun- bromiliads,
easy- golden pothos
for an experiment- cat palm, or parlor palm.
:)
L

the first duty of love is to listen
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
We keep our living room fairly dark. We get afternoon western sun but keep the drapes drawn to try keep out the heat. I have 2 bamboo palms, a philodendron, and a pothos. Have had them for a few years now and all are doing great.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone, have you raised your plants in low light since they were babies?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
some yes, but my ficus goes out every summer for the whole summer, bright filters natural light all day, it sits under a pine tree. and then it is in very low light for the winter. it does ok.

#211050 May 24th, 2008 at 11:28 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
My bamboo palms were not babies when I bought them and the lady at the nursery warned us about putting them in too bright of a location.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image