Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#201233 Apr 13th, 2008 at 06:54 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I've got tiny fleas in my house flying around my plants. I've tried spraying them with water and detergent, but it didn't work. Help boohoo nervous

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sounds like fungus gnats,, carefully remove the top layer of soil and replace with clean soil and let the plant dry out,, the gnats lay eggs in moist soil,, over moist soil will host those pesky things!! boohoo I'd take the plants outside and let it air dry, But I know it's too cold for you there to do that,, Be sure to throw out the top soil you remove,,immediately! boohoo boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Forgive my mind, because I cannot remember what i was told the insect was, but I had the same problem back in 06 when I brought in my jersulem cherry plant from outdoors for the winter.

I was advised by somebody here what they were and they said that they die off fairly fast but that as they lay their eggs in the moist soil (just as appleblossom has just said) that to avoid re-infestations, I should let my plant dry out for a week or so & that will take care of the problem. I did just that. I have since had no problem !!!

Good luck with your plant.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
yup, sounds like fungus gnats. You can try putting a layer of vermiculite over the top of the pot, and start to bottom water

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I can do what you all suggest with only one tiny problem, I have so many plants I cannot really tell which one it's coming from.

I've tried waving my hand thro the plants to try and see which one it is, and I've not been able to identify the problem one.

I'll let my plant dry out this week real well and see if that will do the trick. If not then I'll clean up each pot's top soil as appleblossom suggests.

Thanks everyone for the help.

[Linked Image]

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Just wanted to update you on my problem. I finally bought a non-chemical soap bug spray that was safe for my vegetable seedlings as well, and my problem is solved so far anyway. No more little bugs flying around all week.

[Linked Image]

Ive also had this problem but didnt know what to do about it... now I know ;D thanks ;)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image