Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I thought this might be a fun post. notme

1k Posts
1k Posts
I grow peas,tomatoes,peppers,corn,cucumbers,squash,onions,and beans.

Waiting for fall...
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Depends...I try different things each year.

Last year I put in just a small garden so it was only tomatoes, green peppers, yellow beans, carrots and radish.

Some years I go crazy and plant some of everything but last year I wasn't feeling the best so it was small.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Oh, I forgot.... cucumbers as well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
tomatoe, peppers, chives, cucumbers, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, basil.
during the winter i grew (for the first time) lettuce, spinach, cilantro.
oh, i'm also trying out a loofa for the first time. (didn't know those little bath sponges were a type of squash...should be fun)

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #203829 Apr 23rd, 2008 at 09:12 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I grow potatoes, corn, peas, onions(I did the spanish onion bulbs sets last year and we just used up the last bag a few weeks ago, still can't believe how well they kept over winter) cabbage, cauliflower, broc, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, leaf lettuce, spinach, beans, and lots of peppers and tomatoes in my greenhouse.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
I have got broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, several different types of peppers, onions, different types of lettuce, brussels sprouts, 2 different kinds of watermelon, and 2 types of cantalope.

knotsure #204589 Apr 26th, 2008 at 05:54 AM
Last year I did tomatoes, broccoli, swiss chard, radishes, lettuce, peas, beans, carrots and hot and sweet peppers. Alas, the melons were an utter failure.

This year I'm skipping the melons and carrots and replacing them with spinach and arugula.

I do Square Foot Gardening, so it's easier to grow lots of stuff in a small area.

Jim, Rochester, NY
Senior Igloo Engineer
This year, we're going to grow:
  • tomatoes (1 "regular", 1 plumb, 1 cherry & 1 grape)
  • broccoli
  • cucumbers (trying to grow up an old step ladder)
  • pole beans (teepee grown for the Boys)
  • carrots (little ones)
  • large gourds (hopefully to make birdhouses in the fall/spring) (also trying to grow up the step ladder)

We're also growing (attempting to grow) pumpkins & watermelons but @ a local church community garden. We don't have the room to grow these in our back yard garden. The director of the garden has given us 6 plots to grow these giant vining plants. I think each plot is 4' x 4', so, hopefully, we should have enough space to have 3-5 of each plant. If anyone has any suggestions as to how many pumpkin & watermelon plants I should plant in the space alloted to us, please share them with me! I don't want to plant too many, but I don't know what "too many" is for that space.

Pretty much everything but eggplant, beets and spinach. grin Seriously this year I am growing:
carrots, radish, parsnip
peas, beans, broccoli
potatoes, sweet potatoes, rutabagas
onions, leeks, garlic, shallots, scallions
lettuce, napa, bok choy, broc. rabe, swiss chard, mixed greens
tomatoes, peppers, herbs
melons (several), cucumber, summer squash
Jerusalem artichoke

I will need lots of help. Everyone is asking me what my plans are: am I selling some, canning, giving away etc and I say I am not planning anything because I don't want to have expectations. So I am just rolling with whatever comes! I need to be ready to face bugs, weather and disease and not get too upset! :wink:

I forgot 2500 square feet of sweet corn! My first corn ever after spending every summer on grandma's sweet corn farm.LOL

I am new to this forum and excited to share my joy of gardening, last year I did tomatoes went very well ,strawberry bird ate them squash, cucumber got 4 small and pumpkin (bird and squirrel ate them got only 3 so not good) this year I am going bigger, I have already potatoes, onion in the grown , and in pots strawberres,raddish, beets,peas, green bean, tomatoes, carrot, squash, cucumber,sweet corn, coriander, marjorans, persil,chives , lettuce (already sprouted after 3 days [planting seeds) ),spinach,some flowers marigold,nasturum
so I need a lot advice trying to learn as I go I love it and wnat to make it last
have a nice gardening day flwr

Last edited by lilac1119; Apr 29th, 2008 at 06:59 AM.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
welcome to the forum! I had a squirel last year that would get one tomatoe from my garden, go up a tree, take a bite, drop it, then go get another. I wouldn't mind sharing with an occasional squirrel if he'd eat the whole thing. very frustrating. I've already posted my list of veggies I'm growing this year, but left out raddish's (first time to grow them). I'm trying them in pots too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image