Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204459 Apr 25th, 2008 at 11:17 AM
OP Offline
Hello all!! Greetings from sunny (and warm!) Las Vegas, Nevada. And yes, I am actually trying to grow flowers and even some tomato plants in my yard this year. I'm trying to grow everything in spots where the sprinklers will hit, or I would be out there twice a day trying to keep everything moist! I'm not sure if anything is going to survive the scorching hot summer, but I'm going to give it a try. So far I have about 10 Rutgers-select tomato plants started in my house, and they are just about to sprout their first "real" leaves. I also have a couple of chleomes only about a half-inch tall in a pot (the rest died off, I have no idea what happened), and an egg-carton filled with dahlia sprouts that are growing like weeds and will be ready to plant in the yard soon. If anyone has any tips on any of the things I'm trying to start, pleeeeeze help! I'm so excited to find this website, just browsing around I've already learned some things!! Thanks!

--Lindsay

**These pretzels are making me thirsty**
Las_Vegas_Lins #204462 Apr 25th, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hi Lindsay wavy and welcome! I didn't get started on gardening until after I'd lived in Washington state a while but I originally come from the Reno area. Good luck on your gardening and you will surely find lots of help here.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #204507 Apr 25th, 2008 at 05:13 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy

#204578 Apr 25th, 2008 at 09:36 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
lots of stuff will grow well in the heat as long as they have water.
Welcome! and if you can grow a 'mater, you can grow a pepper!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Las_Vegas_Lins #205160 Apr 28th, 2008 at 06:05 AM
Hello-there! Vegas is a blast! I heard there's a serious water shortage out there (I'm in Columbus, OH). Is there a time limit on using the sprinklers? Best of luck!

NuSkewl #205162 Apr 28th, 2008 at 06:16 AM
HI Vegas, Utah here! Good to see more westerners getting on board. Hot is the name of the game there so start early in the year before it gets tooooooooo hot. After it get past 95 maters stop growing so well.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
waterwise #205619 Apr 30th, 2008 at 03:36 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for the welcomes!! Nuskewl, we are limited to 3 days/week with the sprinklers but not for how long they can run. Soon they will limit the hours you can water--no watering between 11am and 7pm I think, which is no biggie. Definitely hope to get my 'maters outside soon, though before it gets too hot!! Not sure if I'll get many tomotoes from them, but it's worth a try. Also, I have a question for anyone who knows-- can I use the seeds out of my store-bought peppers to grow pepper plants or does something have to be done to them? Thanks!! (Also, a special hello to the Texas people, I lived in Lubbock for 6 years before moving here last year!)

**These pretzels are making me thirsty**

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image