Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205222 Apr 28th, 2008 at 01:52 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Is it ok to make a veggie bed from treated wood. I'm thinking of a raised strawberry bed and maybe other things later on too. Just wondering if the treated wood would be harmful?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
depends on the type of treatment, but generally no. most treated wood (the more affordable stuff) is treated with arsenic which can leach out into the bed. i use untreated wood for anything that will grow food. it is said that you can line beds made with treated wood, but i'd be afraid to.

#205342 Apr 28th, 2008 at 08:03 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
They've reformulated the treatment, so that the main component is copper. It's supposedly safer. I wouldn't use it, but it's considered okay by by many extension agents.
Cedar costs slightly more, but will last just as long, if not longer. There's also a product that's a composite of wood and plastic that's made to look like wood, which will last a lifetime. It's more expensive than wood products.

dave
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Dave that plastic stuff is the "wood" my hubby wants to use but I'm kind of shying away from it cause it's not straight like wood.

But I will mention cedar, see what he says.

Thanks both of you for your advice.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My DH & I had this discussion, & like Jiffy said Dh would not use treted wood for my raised garden. He said he would just replace the wood when it rottetd. he used plain 2 x 4's--well perhaps 2 x 6's---.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
We have some raised bed gardens made out of regular 2x6 & 2x8 construction lumber that I got from work that was once machinery crates. Its holding up well, I know it won't last like Cedar but it doesn't look any worse than the green treated landscape timbers along the driveway which are about the same age. I'd say the raised bed lumber gets worse punishment because its got moist black dirt against one side for over half of the year. Why risk putting anymore chemicals in your food. If green treated keeps wood from rotting and insects eating it...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image