Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#186560 Feb 26th, 2008 at 07:15 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
My mom wants me to grow onions(specifically geen onions).I need help on which varieties I should grow.The heat sets in in late May-early June. why

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I saw these in my Henry Fields catalog:

Lisbon White Bunching Onion
60 days- Mild Sweet Flavor
Quickly produces the earliest green onions. Can be planted in spring or in fall, will winter over. Day neutral. 300 seeds per packet

$1.95 per packet $1.75 each for 2 or more packets

I was actually thinking about trying these myself.

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I bought a packet of 'Evergreen Bunching' onion seeds a few days ago from wal-mart.Now I need help on how to grow them.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Well what is it you need to know??

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Well,I know that they germinate in about ten days. I want to know how to take care of them after they germinate.

Waiting for fall...
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Oh, well, that I am not sure.. sorry I can't be of more help. I am sure someone might happen along and help you.. or when all else fails, google it!

Most of the seeds that are out there for scallions are not like the kind at the grocery store. They are 'spring onions' like in the UK; they have a white bulb at the bottom. So I buy oriental green onion hoskiko (sp?) from Pinetree seeds. I want the kind just like at the grocery store and these are as long as you pick them youngish. After that they get like rounder leaved leeks! I have grown them for years and still use them when they are big like that. I tend to grow more than I can use when they are young you see. I recommend successive startings of the seeds. You can plant that variety over and over all summer without a heat problem. I always have a few seedlings of scallions started in a tray all summer.

I put out some onions sets in the garden a few weeks ago. I can use those for spring (green onions) couldn't I? And how do you know when to pull them for green onions? I pulled one today..and it has a round ball at the end, would I cut that off, that was the onion set that was planted? And for larger onions how do you know when to pull them as well?

Thanks

Lori

I have never used regular onions for green onions but you can tell when regular onions are done because the tops flop over. If you want to use them before they are all done growing then you can sort of gauge how big the onion is by what is poking out of the ground.
You can eat the little white bulbs on the young onions if you want. They might be 'spicyish' raw but that is what they eat in Europe and call them spring onions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image