Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204601 Apr 26th, 2008 at 07:13 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
My roses have been in the ground for about two weeks now, have new leaves opening on them and seem to look nice and healthy. But now I have seen a couple of catipillar/worm looking things on them (got them off and squished them) and I just now that I'm going to have issues with Japanese beetles (they swarmed my cannas the last two years).

Can anybody tell me what to do about this? I have pets, so I need something safe to use around them.

Ellymae #205466 Apr 29th, 2008 at 04:35 PM
I had a problem with Japanese beetles last year... I picked them off the plants and dropped em in a pot of soapy water. Killed em instantly ;) I think theres also a recipe you can make that uses dead Japanese beetles to help get rid of em... Ill see if I can find it.

edit to add: Actually, I did find a site that mentions Milky Spore as a way of getting rid of them. "Because Milky Spore continually regenerates as it destroys Japanese beetle grubs, it can last for 3-10 years. It is also safe to use around children and pets while being non-toxic to the environment. You can buy the powder in canisters in most specialty gardening shops. Although the bacteria can be a bit pricey, Milky Spore is a worthwhile investment."
The site is http://www.gardenandhearth.com/Gardening-Tips/Japanese-Beetles.htm

Last edited by Almond; Apr 29th, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Almond #207208 May 7th, 2008 at 05:01 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you! I'll for sure look into the Milky Spore. And maybe I can tell my boys I'll give them $5 for every 100 dead beetles they bring me...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image