Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205443 Apr 29th, 2008 at 12:17 PM
Unigirl Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey all!

Sorry I haven't been around for so long. Lost my internet for awhile. Glad to be back. My question is why don't my Glads bloom? They are 4 years old now and have never bloomed. They have great foliage but I didn't buy them just for that, I want the pretty flowers lol. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am blonde please forgive me, Lol.
Unigirl #205501 Apr 29th, 2008 at 07:08 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
what zone are you in?? do you pull them up in winter/summer and then replant?

depending on where you are, it could be too cold in winter or too hot in the summer and they'd need to be pulled up.

technically, they're hardy in zones 7-10.

here, in zone 6b, they should be pulled up and stored over the winter and then planted in spring for summer blooming. since i'm in 'b' i chanced it and make sure to mulch really well in the fall and they've always come back for me.

if you're in zone 10 or higher (if there is a higher one, lol), you might need to pull them up for the hottest part of the summer and then replant mid-winter for late spring/early summer blooming.

even in zone 9 you might need to pull them up if they're in a spot that is a micro-climate and is warmer.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #205510 Apr 29th, 2008 at 09:10 PM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I'm in zone 7 and I leave mine in the ground, they are not up yet for this year, but I usually get really pretty blooms from mine

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #205541 Apr 30th, 2008 at 06:00 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Reasons for follage but not flowers are sometimes attributed to the depth they are planted. Because the glads create the new bulbs underneath the previous years bulb they can go pretty deep. So you might want to make sure they are buried no more than 3 inches deep for next year. That's the only thing I know to check. Mine bloom fine. I'm also in zone 7.

[Linked Image]
Unigirl #205593 Apr 30th, 2008 at 01:03 PM
Unigirl Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm not sure exactly which one it is. It's either 9b or 10. I leave them in the ground and my oak trees do the mulching, lol. It does not get very cold here and we get snow maybe once or twice a winter but it doesn't stay very long, a day or two. My local nursery said to leave them. The depth may be an issue though. I planted them 3 inches deep, but they are in a raised bed because my soil is nothing but clay and a little sand so they probably can't go any deeper if they have grown that deep. Thanks all for your help. I appreciate it greatly.

I am blonde please forgive me, Lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image