Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205840 May 1st, 2008 at 11:13 AM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to grow (or attempt to) pumpkins & watermelons in a community garden. Here are my questions:

1. How much space does 1 pumpkin plant need to produce a pumpkin?

2. Does 1 pumpkin plant produce more than 1 pumpkin?

3. How much space does 1 watermelon plant need to produce a watermelon?

4. Does 1 watermelon plant produce more than 1 watermelon?

5. How many plants (pumpkin & watermelon) do you think I should plant in 6 - 4'x4' plots? (I was thinking 3 pumpkin & 3 watermelon.)

Can't think of any others right now. I wanted to get some perspective before starting to plant in the next week or so.

Thanks a million! Sarah flwr

Do you know what variety of pumpkins you are growing? Some take more space than others, some hybrids were bred with a compact vine in mind, but keep in mind compact still eats up some good sq footage. I'd say generally plan to get 3-5 usable(fully orange at harvest) pumpkins per vine. It can vary a lot I've found due to weather, bee pollination, and soil conditions. I'm not sure what you meant by 4'x4' in 6 spaces, I'd say 10'x10' per vine in my experience for the jack o lantern and more for bigger varieties 20'x20' minimum. Do you have corn or other areas like lawn you don't care to mow that you could let the vines ramble through? You can move the ends of vines before they send out roots to help direct them place & trim vines, but they usually don't flower any closer than 8' from the main root. Trimming the lengths will reduce yields also.

Can't help with watermelons the just don't do good for me, the biggest ones I've ever got were the size of softballs! why Pumpkins on the other hand do great and I love growing them!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I volunteer at a community garden too and there is normally a 'master gardener' there, or one I can call for questions like that.
I just put my melon seedlings in the ground the other day. So, its still fresh in my mind....watermelons should be 2-5 feet apart and rows 4-6 feet apart. it's a little different for different varieties, but that is the basic.
anyone know if the same is true on cutting watermelon vines as soilmover was saying about the pumpkin vines - that they won't produce any closer than 8 ft from the main root?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image