Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203569 Apr 22nd, 2008 at 07:27 AM
Almond Offline OP
OP Offline
I had a pine which had two trees growing together. I decided to seperate them and give one to my bf. It did fine for two weeks, then all of a sudden started drying out a few days ago. We mist it and keep it watered. Right now we have it by the computer. We had it outside during the day for awhile (last year Id had the trees outside all summer and they seemed to thrive). Id really hate for it to die, and I know the bf would also feel bad. Is there anything I can do??

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
maybe try cutting off the dry ends? did it get burnt by the sun a little?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
I was just coming here to ask about my Norfolk Island Pine. We got it as a Christmas tree, and then learned that it really needed a lot of humidity, more than we have anywhere except our bathroom, so that's where it is. But it seems constantly on the verge, wants tons of water, hates the heater (I have it as far as possible away from the heater but it still seems affected by it). I mist it and water it every day or two, and if I forget I see the effects. We just went on vacation for a week and put it in its terracotta pot in the bathtub full of water, because it was the best thing we could think of. But when we got back it had two dried up branches.

So, anyway, no advice, but we're in the same boat. I'm wondering for mine, if it might be wise to identify which trunks are the least healthy and cut them out. It has maybe 6-7 branches all bunched together. Is that too much to begin with? Did they do that so it would be a bushy Christmas tree, expecting us to toss it out after the season?

Anyway, I don't know.

Last edited by phoebekitty; Apr 22nd, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
1k Posts
1k Posts
Here is a link to your Norfolk Island pine. Good luck with it. I love mine and am following this advice.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/norfolk.html

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Almond Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I just talked to Jay and he said that it seems to be doing better. He keeps misting it every day and keeps it watered. He said the tips are still dried, but the rest is coming back grin

I also am the proud owner of two gigantic Norfolk Island pine trees. Both of these trees survived Hurricane Katrina and I certainly do not want to lose the now due to my ignorance. The larger of the two trees has become brown almost top to bottom. Now it looks as if the smaller tree is about to go through the same process. I as confused because I can see new growth coming from what looks like a dead branch. Both of these trees are taller than my one-storey home. I include this information because I see that these trees are uncommonly large for this type plant. The thought occurs that perhaps this is some sort of stage the trees go through when they get so tall. They are planted in outside flower beds on either side of the entry was to my home and are a key part of the impression one receives when visitng my home. I grew these trees from pots. They are the standard grocery store type plants.

I am careful to keep them watered and misted. I have been doing nothing new or different in my care. How can I help them?

As you may have guessed I have quite an emotional attachment to these two trees. We have come through a whole lot and have made it O.K. so far. I would like very much to keep it that way.

Narnia

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image