Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I have a 72 cell jiffy peat pot set and tons of seeds and haven't started a one. tears

I don't have a very good location to put them inside. Not enough light coming in my windows. I do have one window in my back hall way, but it isn't going to be very warm there. I thought about buying a heat mat.. but don't really have the extra money to spend right now.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it depends on what you're planting.

some need direct sun, others indirect. some need high heat and others not. and then there are the combo's of need sun/lower heat, need sun/high heat, indirect light/high heat, indirect light/lower heat.

there are also seeds that need cold treatment before planting.

what seeds do you have?

Zone 6b
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks again Joclyn! kissie Um, what seeds.. gosh, I have alot of different things. And they aren't right here with me. Bleh.. why does it have to be so complicated? why

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I remember thinking the same thing not to many years ago. But, you do have to do it one plant species at a time when it comes to finding the right home for each plant. From seed to maturity. It does get easier with time. Or should I say you get used to researching lol.

I have over 200 different seeds that I want to plant when I get to my new place so I've been researching plant requirements and know exactly what you are going through.

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you need good air circulation too.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
I'm new to gardening myself, but a woman who created beautiful gardens at the local library last year gave me some of the seeds & instructions on what to do. I used her seeds & bought a ton more. She told me to plant them in the peat pots using seed starter mixed w/ some miracle grow. She said to cover them with plastic that would not touch the plants. She said it should be in a place that was not too warm about 65 degrees or they would get big too quickly and no light needed. When the danger of frost was passed to take them out for part of each day so they could get used to the temperature. After doing that for a few days they could be planted in the ground.

Some of the seeds, like irises, have not produced anything yet, but she said some of them take time. Most of the others have produced plants. Some kind of tall & some are small. That's as far as I've gotten in my endeavor. I'm having my house sided so I can't get to my gardens for another week or so. I'm in NH, so it'll be ok. Hope this helps.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Hmm.. I thought I could just pop my seeds in the jiffy pellets, water and put in the sun and away we would go. =/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image