Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#207295 May 7th, 2008 at 12:58 PM
Jodi530 Offline OP
OP Offline
i get really confused on how to trim things into tree form. I have a few things that i bought...and want them all to grow into a tree form. rhododenderons, camellias, & jane magnolia. the jane magnilia already bloomed this year and is under 2 feet tall. it is currently full of green leaves. the magnillias are about 1 foot tall...and look like they may not bloom. if they do, it will be in the summer i guess. they havent grown hardly at all since i planted them 3 or 4 months ago. i bought 2 rhododenderon plants...about 8 inches tall. one bloomed and one didnt. looks like they both are starting new growth now after the bloom of one. (new bright green leaves forming)
all of these are newly plantes ( 3 months or so) but i dont want to skip the step on getting them trimmed into tree form. I dont understand what "pinking off" means...or any of the other pruning lingo. I'm TOTALLY NEW at gardening. PLEASE HELP!!!! my dream is to have a lovely garden. but I'm a beginner.

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I've never heard the term "pinking off", so I can't help you with that. I can tell you that when you are trying to get a plant to grow as a tree, you have to remove the bottom branches. Never remove more than 1/3 of any plants branches in one year. As the plants get taller you can remove a few more bottom branches until it looks like you want. Most of the shrubs you mentioned are slow growers, so it may take you a few years to get them the way you want them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image