Rate Thread
#204074 Apr 24th, 2008 at 06:07 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
This past year I've acquired 3 trees. I've never done trees before. they are only about a foot tall. My question is are there advantages to putting them in the ground or is it ok to leave in the pots for another year? I have an avacodo, a pomegranite, and a 'mystery' citrus.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #204091 Apr 24th, 2008 at 06:28 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
What are your plans for them eventually? Are you planning a move in the next year or so? How are they doing in their pots? Do they need larger pots to thrive? They will probably survive potted for another year or so. But if you are looking for fruit production, that will happen much better in the ground when you have a permanent spot for them.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #204097 Apr 24th, 2008 at 06:51 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Were not planning on moving any time soon. I'm just so indecisive about where to put them! I go out with a mission to get them in the ground somewhere and just can't make up my mind. Trees are just so permanent. Also, hubby gets kinda agressive with the tractor when he has it in his head to do some mowing. ha ha. They are in 1 gal. pots right now. I don't know what size is good for them at 1 ft, but they seem to be doing ok.

Cricket

cricket #205502 Apr 29th, 2008 at 07:50 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think as long as you can put the trees in larger pots as they grow--and can take them in in the winter--if your winters are sevre to the point of freezing the pot--then by all means pot them up--i have had a lilac bush that I have had in a pot since spring 2005. it was very small at first but is now aobut 4 feet tall.---last winter it stayed in my garage by a window---in the 7 months it has been in there it has gotten water about 4 times---I was told not to water more than 1 time a month, but since march I have watered it more frequently---

You should see it now--it is beatiful---

Good luck !!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #207906 May 10th, 2008 at 08:18 PM
Why not pick a spot for each tree, "plant" the pot in the ground and leave it there for the summer to see if you like where it is. If you like it there, plant the tree, if not, dig the pot up and try another spot.

cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Well, about a week ago I finally took the pots from the garden and placed them in the yard in different spots. boy, I knew some of them liked more sun than what they were getting but I had no idea. they look wonderful! I'm still moving the pots around every day or so....still trying to decide where they'll get enough sun and out of the way of the tractor paths. I'm trying to keep them close to a flower bed or tree or something so they don't get mowed down, but far enough away from other trees where it will have it's own room. Out of the three trees I have (avacado, pomegranite, citrus) which need more sun? which can stand direct afternoon through evening sun... here in tx throughout the summer? anyone know off hand...or should I just go google?

Cricket

cricket #215979 Jun 14th, 2008 at 08:58 PM
So far, All I knor is I have an aunt who lives in Phoenix, and she has a bunch of grapefruit trees in her back yard and they seem to like the sun all day long. I'm not sure about the others though.

Pete_in_AZ #215984 Jun 14th, 2008 at 09:16 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
last week I FINALLY got them three trees planted. I did go google, and picked out a really good spot for two of them. one of them....the one that can take the most sun here (pomegranite) really should be moved. it's getting too much shade. I'm gonna dig that one up within the week and replant it. I think I have a place for it?
(no more trees for cricket, too stressful, grow them little suckers from babies then have to worry about hubby on the tractor....'I am man, I can mow ten foot trees down, I use rebar as a sheer pin, I take out the aerobic system sprinkler heads'! RAWWWWW!!!!)

Cricket

cricket #216060 Jun 15th, 2008 at 08:11 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
haha haha cricket, that is too funny! i have a loquat tree that is going in a pot today for that very reason!

#216128 Jun 15th, 2008 at 01:29 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
good to know, I'm not alone!

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,916
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image