Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208036 May 11th, 2008 at 02:05 PM
tmmetz Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all! I am new obviously and I want to introduce myself. My name is Tammy and I live in southern colorado. I have 7 children and this is our first year at our new house and our first garden.

We cleared a 25x25 square on the back 40 (seems like, our house is on slightly more than an acre). We are planting what we can put up kwim? Corn, squash (zuccini, pumpkin, spaghetti squash and acorn and butternut if I can find the seeds), tomatoes, spinach, lettuce, onions, strawberries, beans, cucumbers and more, I can't remember.

We have a high alkaline soil, so we have been clearing the natural prairie grass and weeds and tilling in some coffee grounds and cotton boll fertilizer. We shall see how it goes. See? I've done my homework.

My husband is putting up a fence today to keep out the quail, rabbits, dogs, kids :).

My question is this: Yesterday we put in the tomato plants. We put in a scosh of fertilizer in each hole, then watered, mulched and watered a bit more. Today they look sad. It didn't freeze last night but they look that way. Are they done for? The strawberry plants look just fine. Can my "celebrities" be saved? Elvis? John Wayne? Heath? (Yes, the children named them) I would appreciate any advice.

Tammy

tmmetz #208096 May 11th, 2008 at 07:20 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm thinking you put to much fertilizer in. but... i'd ask again down in the food forums, there is a specific tomato section thumbup and welcome wavy we like tammy's around here grin (there are a couple!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image