Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#195476 Mar 24th, 2008 at 03:06 PM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I have never grown roses, but I would like to start. Can anyone give me advice on a good beginner variety and how to prepare a bed for it? I have very little shade in my yard and summers here tend to be a little dry. I live in East Tennessee, so the soil here tends to have a higher prcentage of clay.

Ellymae #195613 Mar 25th, 2008 at 04:57 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm not sure on your planting zone.

First of all, is there a certain size plant or colour that you are looking for? Different rose varieties vary greatly.

You can amend your soil with compost, roses love the sun.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #195763 Mar 25th, 2008 at 06:39 PM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm pretty sure I'm zone 7. I'm not picky at all on color or size. I think climbers are for the distant future, though, because I haven't anything for them to climb right now (except a fence, would that work?).

Ellymae #195764 Mar 25th, 2008 at 06:53 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
What type of fencing is it?? chainlink would be great! ~ eventually it would provide a wall of roses,! thumbup

Tamara is right amend your soil with compost even used coffee gounds,, epson salt is great for roses too after their established,,,, it promotes blooms,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually its a wooden privacy fence. Could they climb that?

What time of year is the best to plant? I'm assuming spring or fall, right? Should I prepare a bed with compost and let it age over the summer and plant in fall or even let it age until next spring? Or would it be okay to prepare the bed and plant immediately?

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
my first rose was from a store called odd job - one of those 'buy the lot; sell at a discount' places. darn thing was a no-name brand and nothing for cultivar name. cost $2.99.

has grown like crazy every year and has the most beautiful pink blooms on it!! i've bought more since (i love roses) - not from that store as it went out of business - and they've been more expensive...they've all died.

my soil has a bit of clay in it - which roses seem to like. i planted it in a sunny spot - gets full sun from sunrise until about 2 pm (if you are in z7, you might want to have it in a spot where it doesn't get sun much past noon). LOTS of air cirulation - that is VERY important for roses! i've never done much except prune it yearly and i always keep some mulch around it in the summer and then pack in about 6 inches of crushed leaves for the winter to protect the roots.

oh, when i first planted it, i made sure to put rose food (pellet type) in the hole before i put the plant in, too. i've occassionally put down some lime and i've also fed it the rose food a couple more times. it's well established now, so (8 years now), so i really don't do anything other than pruning to maintain it.

a few years ago i had opportunity to transplant some very old roses from a neighbors yard...i'm talking these things were at least 40 years old!! and at least one was 60. they all moved well and are thriving!! which is what i expected when i got a look at the roots - very, very good root systems on them.

a couple are 'rambler' types and they're doing quite well using the picket fence as support...

i do have pics - on film and i still need to get it developed. when i do, i'll post 'em.

i'd suggest getting a basic cultivar (red or pink flower) that's been around for a long time. the newer types (fancy colors) aren't necessarily better. and do a bush type for the initial plunge in...they're just easier to care for when you're learning about them.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #195807 Mar 26th, 2008 at 05:14 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! Glad to hear your roses seem to like a little clay. I will start looking for "old type" roses in bush form.

I've got a perfect spot on the east side of the house that desperately needs some color and will provide a bit of protection from direct sun after 2:00pm. There is enough room for more than one bush and it is up against the fence for climbers, so a little rose garden would have room to expand.

I will start with one this year and see what happens....

Ellymae #195812 Mar 26th, 2008 at 06:24 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Hi Ellemae, got to tell you that red roses are more prone to leaf fungus, so if you are planting roses be aware that you will need to buy a spray for fungus for the red ones. My Dad was an avid rose grower with many years off exsperience, just a little tip that I hope you will find useful. thumbup wavy

"All good things come to those that wait."
Matriarch #195813 Mar 26th, 2008 at 06:27 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
By the way, you can buy rose food, you just put It in your watering can.

"All good things come to those that wait."
Matriarch #195859 Mar 26th, 2008 at 11:42 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Personally I like floribunda roses best....probably because I haven't killed one yet. haha I also have rugosas as well, and they get overgrown quickly. Rugosas also seem to draw in bees and such much more than the other types do.

Whatever you choose, you'll love it. Just add compost to your soil and pop it in as soon as it's time in your area. Oh and water it from the base not over the top, seems to help control the fungus that way.

I have climbers as well, I just tie them to train them to whatever I plant them against.

Sunflowers #195926 Mar 26th, 2008 at 03:33 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
One of the easiest to grow roses are called knock out roses they come in many differnt colors and varitys i think their is a climbing type but i could be wrong... These they are very diesease resisint... they do not care if you do not dead head them or not even though you should.... but they are a beautiful! the only thig about them they do not have the fragrence... But if you just want to learn how to grow roses these a a very great way to start then you can move up to more challenging roses.... Me I do not have a favorite I love all roses epecially climbing roses my favorite one is the olympiad because it is perfect for being in hot and humid weather.... I use epsom salt around my roses about every 4-5 weeks jusat spread a lil bit around the bottom and bam! then also like tamara said water at the base of the plant... And when you prune always prune right abouve the 5th leaflet (the leaf set with 5 leaves) also if you get a rose say a tea rose if you have the big blooms when you got it and they seem to get smaller prune lower to get the big blooms again youll have bigger blooms but less roses prune higher if your want alot more blooms but they will be smaller roses.... You also might want to go to your local library and check out a book about roses you can find alot about them! No matter what anyone says growing roses is not hard its in fact easy as making a pie! you just got to take your time and do research and you will be rewarded!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #200456 Apr 10th, 2008 at 03:48 PM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, today I ran to Walmart to pick up some more creeping flox to border a bed in front, and I found these while I was there for $4 apiece:

Queen Elizabeth
Iceberg
Climbing America

Two Floribundas as suggested and one climber, just because I was feeling lucky.
The bed is finished, I've worked some prepackaged manure/compost into it well, now I will wait until after this weekend (forecast has called for temps to drop into the 30's, eek!) to plant them. Oh, and I got them some commercial rose food as well. Ya'll cross your fingers for these little guys.

Ellymae #200581 Apr 11th, 2008 at 03:53 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yay, can't wait to see the finished garden Ellymae. I love roses.

Sunflowers #207210 May 7th, 2008 at 05:16 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
I've got five little buds on the Iceberg! Honestly I didn't really think any of them would bloom this year, but the Iceberg looks extremely healthy, has lots of new growth and now buds! The other two bushes are putting out new growth and look good too, maybe later they might bloom too? I did find a couple of aphids yesterday, so today I am going to try the local co-op and see if they have some ladybugs for sale...

Off topic a little, I told my mom about the advice I found here and she has been trying it out on the roses that she inheirited with her house three years ago and now they are blooming well and looking much healthier! I think they really just needed some pruning and some food. I know the big yellow rosebush had gotten so top heavy that half of the bush (nearly 4 foot tall) had broken in a bit of wind last fall and now it is looking much better, more balanced and compact.

Ellymae #208099 May 11th, 2008 at 07:24 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/pickles10az/04-28-08_1903.jpg

This is a new rose I planted last Year, dont know the name, but I think its beautyfull.

Monika

pickles10az #208107 May 11th, 2008 at 07:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
monika, that is a beautiful rose. i like it too!

#208121 May 11th, 2008 at 08:18 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Monika That is Gorgeous!!!!! clap

Ellymae,, If you plant marigolds or basil in front of your roses that will keep aphids away,, Last year I had basil growing AND marigolds worked like a charm.

Don't forget in humid /rainy weather,, blackspot will probably develope on the rose leaves,, be sure to cut the whole leaf off and throw them away. don't let any hang around on the ground,, it will reinfect more good leafs with fungus.
Spray with a fungicide early in the AM before the sun gets to hot,, I typically use 'rose defense'(<-home depot) once a week during the rainy spring season, and then once a month the rest of the season thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #208192 May 12th, 2008 at 05:38 AM
Ellymae Offline OP
OP Offline
And it just so happens that I love marigolds AND basil!

My former MIL sent me a cutting off of a rose bush that she has in her yard. Its an old fashioned rose, pink, very pretty. She soaked the cutting in roots on and said to plant it in wet dirt and it should root in a couple of weeks. Will it be ok in a flowerpot until it gets a little bigger? It just looks so small and helpless...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image