Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
amalia Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello there-
and thanks to anyone taking the time to read my post.

I recently started a new raised bed vegetable garden in my backyard. I live in San Francisco so we have a cool temperature almost year round. currently temps are around 65 during the day and 50's at night.

I just moved into my new house specifically for the yard and wanting to grow some vegetables so I tried to take special care preparing the beds.

My soil was quite alkaline so I added 2 bags of peat moss and 2 bags of redwood compost. I also added in 3 bags of planting soil because i didn't have enough dirt to fill my raised beds.

I did all this 2 weekends ago now. I bought a variety of plants and tried to plant them all according to their specifications.
The spot the bed is in, gets around 5 hours direct sunlight ( it is th sunniest spot I have) it is right in the middle of my yard, and the reason I only get 5 hours is because there are 2-3 story buildings on either side of me.

It has been two weeks since I planted the veggies and nothing is really growing, but my main concern is my strawberries because they are actually wilting pretty badly.

After I planted them I watered real well and have been watering in the mornings around 7am. A couple of mornings I have not watered because the soil is still damp from the last watering.

They have been wilting more and more each day, and I cannot determine why.
Too much water? Not enough water? bugs?
I thought at first , maybe it was too much water, so I didnt water yesterday morning and when I got home last night, they were all lying completely on the ground. After I watered last night, they perked up some, but still the leaves look wilted or almost burnt?
Can wind cause wilt, because i get a lot of wind for around 30 minutes in the afternoon.
Another idea I had was perhaps my soil is too rich in fertilizer? [Linked Image]

thanks for any help!!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
You will always get some transplant shock, and it will take a little while for the soil to kind of get to a point where it is right...don't expect immediate recovery, but they have a good chance at this point. You might put down more mulch to mediate the heat from that black fabric, even just some newspaper or anything lighter that doesn't absorb heat.

dave
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yup, it's just transplant shock. Strawberries are tough plants though.

Try not to overwater either. You can go a couple of days between waterings and don't give them any more fertilizer. in a bit you'll see new leaves forming.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
amalia Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks so much for the advise. I'll let you know how they are in a couple of weeks

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
... strawberries because they are actually wilting pretty badly.

They have been wilting more and more each day, and I cannot determine why.
Too much water? Not enough water? bugs?

Did the strawberry plants wilted when the weather in San Francisco was warmer than usual? If so, it could be caused by ground mealybugs. They are tiny white, egg-shaped insects with short antennae and segmented body. White cottony masses is an indication of their presence.

Which general location of SF is your garden in? Used to live near Sts. Peter & Paul Church.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image