Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209532 May 17th, 2008 at 10:46 AM
DeanE Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone!
Most of my garden is doing just fine.
I have problems with something eating the leaves of young pole beans and sunflowers.
All the rest of the garden (cukes,tomato,cabbage,squash, and peppers) are mostly untouched.
I have in the past been using 7 dust. This year I switched to an Ortho spray that seems to have no effect on whatever is chewing on the beans and sunflowers. I'm not organic yet so please don't beat me up!
I have a large crop of beans and will not lose them all but I still wish to protect as many as possible.
I estimate that 75 of 150 plants are being chewed up pretty badly. Someone help me save my beans and sunflowers please!
I am in east Tennessee if that helps pinpoint the problem. Thanks.
Dean E

DeanE #209548 May 17th, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
dean, we won't beat you up for not being organic. most of us are mostly organic but rely on other stuff when we have to. it's just life.

i'm not sure what your bug is, but i'm hoping someone else comes along to tell you!

#209573 May 17th, 2008 at 01:23 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I always think of slugs first when I think of leaves being chewed up. why

Especially when it's been very wet like it's been here, the slugs are out in hordes.

BTW, don't feel bad....I'm not organic. :wink: To each his own I say! thumbup

Welcome to the forum! wavy

#210777 May 23rd, 2008 at 05:49 AM
DeanE Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd love to be organic but I'm still pretty new at this veggie thing (4th year) so it will take time.
I have slug traps baited with beer in the strawberry patch and they work very well. I'll put some in the beans and see if I get any takers. :) Thanks.

DeanE #210779 May 23rd, 2008 at 05:57 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
you could also take some time to really look your plant over. see if you can spot any bugs. then find out what bug it is. some are 'good' bugs, some 'bad'.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #210787 May 23rd, 2008 at 07:06 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
If there are holes or the leaves are skeletonized, the bug could be Cucumber beetles or flea beetles if the holes are tiny.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image