Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#209562 May 17th, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Aibo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

Can anybody please help see what is wrong with my gardenia? Some of leaves started turning yellow and brown. I am attaching two pictures here. If you need more information, please let me know.

http://www.pbase.com/aibosj/image/97192968
http://www.pbase.com/aibosj/image/97193030

Thanks a lot!
Aibo

Aibo,

If you get an answer to your posting, will you be so kind and forward to me or reply to my posting. My plant is doing the same thing, only not this bad YET.
Thanks alot
Debbie

Debbie the plant challenged but trying to be gardner, Everyday is a gift so open it will care and love
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I had a gardenia for several years, (lost it last year to ants). but, I did some reading on it before that trying to get mine to bloom better. from what I remember gardenias are kinda fussy about the type of soil they are in. the leaves will turn different colors depending on what is lacking in the soil. mine was lacking iron. I know this isn't much help, but maybe do a search on 'gardenia soil'. or 'gardenia soil requirements'.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
From your photos I'm guessing this plant is in a pot. Gardenias like an acid well drained soil- try repotting this plant in soil that is 1 part washed sand, one part peat moss and one part neutral potting soil.
For a quick fix try removing all the yellow leaves and try fertilizing with a fern type fertilizer. I would do this 1/3 strength. (very acid, use with caution) Make sure the water drained completely from the pot.
Removing the yellow leaves from the plant will help the plant to get into shape- a lot of the plants energy is going into sustaining leaves that aren't giving anything back.
good luck and have fun!
:)
HB

the first duty of love is to listen

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image