Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to gardening. I 25 years old and have been a renter my whole adult life. I recently got into a house (where I am still renting) that has a large backyard and is fully landscaped. I hope to do some container gardening. The challenge for me...I'm from Ohio and I moved to New Mexico (Rio Rancho, ABQ area) almost two years ago. This is my first chance to have an outdoor garden since I've been in NM and I'm not sure where to begin. I've got some herbs started indoors and want to get them out side soon. I'll do some usual outdoor annuals in containers this weekend. Does anyone know any Southwestern must-haves for container gardens? DO tomatoes really do as well out hear as I have heard?

I'm very excited to join this forum! I'm sure I will have many questions to ask the experts. And maybe a few answers!

I'm going to go check out the houseplant forum now!!

Nice to meet you all!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome and check out our tomato forum!

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi, just wanted to welcome you as well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
hi from arkansas

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
I'm a little new to the SW also and have been really excited about my garden - -I'm not doing containers, but I'm sure peppers in pots would do very well and are also attractive! Good Luck!

Two years ago I planted in January - - the first warm weekend - - and really had GOOD luck!... Sunflowers, okra (a little leggy and tall, but edible pods did appear), swiss chard that is just now seeding (2 - 3 years growth!), leaf lettuce - - a little thin for my liking, but edible - - endive (they produce pretty blue flowers before seeding), funky spinach (thick triangular shaped leaves). My daughter assisted since she's been here longer than I and gardened in this heat.

~ AZ Lady [Masquerading as a normal person every day is very difficult!]
As a former resident in ABQ, but mainly Phoenix though, I can tell you that a mainstay is cactus gardens, New Mexico is somewhat a desert and definitely southwestern by nature. Try doing some of the herbs outdoors you may find a new love of growing in this format. Individually potted items such as cilantro, rosemary, arugula and chives can grow very nicely there. You will see good rewards from these herbs and quickly but do not forget the staples of oregano, thyme and the like

Thank You

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,896
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image