#210324
May 21st, 2008 at 08:24 AM
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19 |
On Saturday my husband asked me if the corn kernals from my popcorn container would grow into corn plants. I had no idea since I've never planted corn before. We took a couple of the kernals and wrapped them in a moist paper towel and wrapped that in plastic. It was forgotten about until last night. We opened it up and and the kernals were growing!! I couldn't beleive my eyes, each kernal had about 2 inches of stem/root growing out of them already. I have a few questions I was hoping to get help with. 1. Can I plant these in the ground and have actual corn plants grow? 2. Is that how long corn usually takes to germinate is 4 days? (that was fast) 3. How do you upload pictures? I can post some of the corn!
Dana
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67
Northern Star
|
|
Northern Star
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67 |
It will grow corn plants but I'm sure you'll just get popcorn corn. Usually a smaller variety then normal corn. It's dried out and shucked and used for just popcorn.
Some varieties germinate pretty quick especially in wet paper towel...
You need to use a photo hosting site, you upload your picks there than copy and paste them here. I use 'Photobucket'...it's free.
~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt. ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/psd/sunny.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19 |
Thank you Tamara. I didn't know there was different kinds of corn plants for eating say corn on the cob and then popcorn corn. You wouldn't happen to know how to dry it out so i could store it for future popcorn making would you? I'm going to try and attached a sample picture to see if it works.  rose.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/> I took this picture in my backyard
Dana
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67
Northern Star
|
|
Northern Star
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67 |
Congrats on posting your pic, lovely rose. There's different kinds of popcorn, some are rice and some are pearl shaped. Some varieties produce mushroom or butterfly shaped popped kernals or a mix of the two. Some are coloured as well. My grandmother always used to leave the popcorn on the stalks to dry....mind you that was the real eating corn turned into popcorn, wasn't the best but thats the only kind you could get back then. She'd then store them in a dry place in a mesh bag(an onion bag would work) and dry it for months and months. She said the best popcorn would be dried for a year... I got some special strawberry popcorn seeds in a trade, this will be my first year in trying the 'home grown popcorn'. I guess we'll learn the process together.
~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt. ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/psd/sunny.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,563
Fencer
|
|
Fencer
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,563 |
hope you two will keep us informed on how the popcorn thing goes. sounds fun! I'd try here, but have too many deer.
Cricket
Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,047 Likes: 38
Frogger
|
|
Frogger
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 48,047 Likes: 38 |
I bought some home grown popcorn still on the cob one time. it is all in how your dry it out before you shuck (sp) it.-- My cousin & I both bought some one time--mine didn't pop so well--my cousins was wonderful---so good luck!!!
the kids on the next farm grew it---i would buy it from tehm every year- it was great--(all ready to go & everything)
![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/graphics/buttons/junie.gif) ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/graphics/buttons/gardenhelper.jpg) ________ Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,761
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,761 |
I only grow sweet corn.Wish I could get some popcorn seeds.
Waiting for fall...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67
Northern Star
|
|
Northern Star
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67 |
Netty has different kinds of popcorn seeds for trade in the seed trade forum. That's where I got mine from.
~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt. ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/psd/sunny.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67
Northern Star
|
|
Northern Star
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67 |
Oh and you can't plant both varieties close to each other either Enrique, you don't want them to cross-pollinate.
~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt. ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/psd/sunny.jpg)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19 |
emdeGardener2 You know the bags of popcorn you buy in the store...the kind you put in a big pot with a little oil and a lid on the stovetop; you keep shaking it until its all popped? Not the popcorn you buy in a bag and pop in the microwave. Thats the popcorn I used to see if it would grow...I was amazed when it did. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them tomorrow. So you could get some popcorn seeds pretty easy if you went to the grocery store 
Dana
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19 |
I'll keep you posted!! I'm going to put up some pics tomorrow.
Dana
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,761
|
|
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,761 |
I'll just pollinate them by hand.
Waiting for fall...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 21,848
Hot Rod
|
|
Hot Rod
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 21,848 |
If you have 2 rows they pollinate themselves...
![[Linked Image]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/graphics/buttons/dodge.gif) ![[Linked Image]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/graphics/buttons/gardenhelper.jpg) PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19 |
Attached are some pics of the popcorn seeds we experimented with......... ![[Linked Image]](http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Dana777/Popcorn.jpg) This is the popcorn ![[Linked Image]](http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/Dana777/Pop-1.jpg) This what it looks like after we wrapped a few pieces in a moist paper towel and plastic wrap (last Saturday). I'm going to try to plant them in the ground today
Dana
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67
Northern Star
|
|
Northern Star
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 31,425 Likes: 67 |
Good luck Dana.
Enrique just remember if you plant regular corn and popcorn, they might cross pollinate with each other.
~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt. ![[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]](//www.agardenersforum.com/images/psd/sunny.jpg)
|
|
|
|
Forums65
Topics14,335
Posts243,583
Average Daily Posts5
| |
Members16,003
Most Online142,934 May 16th, 2026
|
|
|
|