Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211240 May 25th, 2008 at 06:35 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
I rooted a cutting of a rose from my Granny's yard. I don't know the name of it. Her bush was grown from a cutting from a plant that was 100 years old that she got from one of her aunt's houses. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of Old English tea rose but I can't swear to it. She use to call it her "Egglantine" rose but I may be misremembering. I websearched that name and didn't come up with a pic that looks like hers. She had a female relative whose name was Egglantine (sp) but I don't know if that's the same relative that she got the rose from. I also searched heirloom roses, etc., to no avail.

I have a couple of pics but they're kinda blurry because I tried to get a closeup with a one-time use camera and that doesn't work too well. (Gonna get me a decent digital. :) )

The leaves are tiny and medium green. The bush is VERY prickly. Even the bud leaves have prickly spines on them. I have to use gloves to pull the dead flowers off. It's very ugly when the flowers die because they don't readily remove themselves. They just "curl up and die" and turn brown and sit there.

Help?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Kalar #211250 May 25th, 2008 at 07:10 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't know, but it's beautiful, and much like a rose my grandfather grew.

Kalar #214653 Jun 8th, 2008 at 07:11 PM
Does this look like it? Picture links
to a page in an online catalogue of a dealer
in old fashioned roses which gives a description
and history. Or, you may find it elsewhere in the
listing.

[Linked Image]

neko nomad #215272 Jun 11th, 2008 at 02:08 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Neko, that's a gorgeous rose! Unfortunately, that's not it. I have one bloom trying to open on my bush. It's past its usual spring 'breakout' and now will just do random blooms. They don't seem to bloom as well once it gets really hot but I'll try to get a better pic now that I have a decent digital camera.

Thanks for trying!!

Kalar

Kalar #215935 Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:45 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
This really may be it. Chestnut rose! I've seen pics of this on some sites but this particular set of pics sure does look like it....bush and rose, too.

Also known as Chinquapin rose and Burr rose. What do you think?

http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00105.htm

This really does sound like it: "One Tough, Showy rose
It doesn't need spraying. It doesn't need watering. It doesn't need fertilizing. Frankly, it's beginning to sound like chestnut rose isn't a rose at all."

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/flowers/article/0,28012,422406,00.html

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add more info

Kalar

Kalar #215937 Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:50 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if that isn't it, i'd be shocked! that is the closest you have come. my only question is you mention in the other post that the blooms are about 1.5-2 inches, and the chestnut rose is 2-3 inches. also, they mention the bark. does the bark match and do the blooms get that big? if so, you've solved the question and i'll change the title of the topic for you!!! and i still want one grin haha

#215939 Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:55 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
if that isn't it, i'd be shocked! that is the closest you have come. my only question is you mention in the other post that the blooms are about 1.5-2 inches, and the chestnut rose is 2-3 inches. also, they mention the bark. does the bark match and do the blooms get that big? if so, you've solved the question and i'll change the title of the topic for you!!! and i still want one grin haha

haha You can still get one.....if they root. prayers haha

I may have misjudged the size of the blooms. The 'old wood' looks right, too.
You may have read the post before I added another link to an article about it.
The more I read the info in the link to that Southern Living article, the more I'm convinced that's what this is. I suggest you read it. You may not want it after that. haha lol It sure fits to a tea.

Kalar

Kalar #215941 Jun 14th, 2008 at 04:57 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Jiffy,

Ref the bloom size. It may have something to do with how much sun it gets as to how big the blooms get. I'm not sure. Also, mine is fairly young. And after remembering my Grandmother's bush (huge), the blooms could definitely be that big.

Kalar

Kalar #215944 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:01 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Jiffy,

Last sentence in the Southern Living article:

"If you hate spraying, watering, and fertilizing, this is the rose for you." haha

Attention all newbie rose growers: Heads up!! haha Oh my aching sides. grin

Kalar

Kalar #215948 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:08 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
then this is the rose for me!!! i'm going to check that article now. my roses live in spite of me! lol

#215950 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:12 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline

Jiffy,

I think you can change the title. MYSTERY rose IDENTIFIED!! BREAK OUT THE CHAMPAGNE!! bop

Kalar

#215952 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, read the article, think you are right. and if you want me to change the title of the topic, just say so and i'll do both of them!

#215953 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
and yes, i still want one lol

#215954 Jun 14th, 2008 at 05:16 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
and yes, i still want one lol

haha :wink:

Let's toast that champagne to cuttings that don't croak! bop

Kalar

Kalar #216019 Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:45 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Jiffy,

The more I look around the web, the more I wonder if my rose is the Chestnut rose. The two pics from another website that I put links to further up in this thread do look like it very, very much. However, everywhere else I go, the color is wrong. And in some cases, the pics I find don't look like it at all....mostly the flower colors but sometimes the leaf color is wrong. Mine is more a medium green and I've seen very dark green. I don't understand. I realize there is a lot of misinformation on the internet but most of the pics I find are on what one would think is a reputable site. Also there are sketches of the rose in a very old book that doesn't look like mine. sigh... I guess I'll stick with Chestnut rose for now. why

The Southern Living article sure did nail it's 'particulars' and 'personality'. grin

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 15th, 2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: add sentence

Kalar

Kalar #216062 Jun 15th, 2008 at 08:12 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm with you on the chestnut rose too. i haven't done the looking you have, but i bet it is that. it just "feels right" if you know what i mean.

#216067 Jun 15th, 2008 at 08:17 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
i'm with you on the chestnut rose too. i haven't done the looking you have, but i bet it is that. it just "feels right" if you know what i mean.

Yeh, it does 'feel' right. And I'll betcha my Granny's aunt called it 'Chinquapin' rose. They had a lot of American Indian (Cherokee) in her family. It may not 'be' an indian name but it sure sounds like one. grin

Kalar

Kalar #216212 Jun 15th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it is. a chinquapin is a miniature chestnut.
they are native to the gulf coast and i love them. they taste very good.

#216292 Jun 16th, 2008 at 05:07 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
it is. a chinquapin is a miniature chestnut.
they are native to the gulf coast and i love them. they taste very good.

Cool beans! I'll have to tell my daughter that it is for sure an Indian word. She loves that part of her ancestry. :ding:

Kalar

Kalar #216461 Jun 16th, 2008 at 08:15 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i love chinquapins but hate chestnuts. and yes, it is a native word.

we always called them "chinkypins" i didn't know the real spelling for years! lol

#216526 Jun 17th, 2008 at 07:24 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
i love chinquapins but hate chestnuts. and yes, it is a native word.

we always called them "chinkypins" i didn't know the real spelling for years! lol

"Chinkypins"!!! Now THAT sounds right!! haha It certainly sounds like how a true southerner (myself included) would pronounce it in 'everyday life.' lol

I found a page that referenced its scientific name (Rosa roxburghii) so I searched on that and found a great pic of it. They also have a small pic there that doesn't look like it at all. ??? Anyway, thought I'd share the link since the big pic is so good. The description of the flower color is more accurate, too.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/roses/chestnutrose.htm

Kalar

Kalar #216527 Jun 17th, 2008 at 07:34 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
BTW, Jiffy,

I keep seeing the reference to a 'fruit' similar to a Chestnut. I don't ever see anything like that on this bush. The buds are spiky but nothing comes after the rose that looks like a tiny chestnut that I have ever seen. ?? Maybe I need to check more closely but seems to me I would have noticed after all this time.

Kalar

Kalar #216679 Jun 18th, 2008 at 06:15 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, now I have the answer as to why my "Chestnut rose" doesn't have 'chestnut-like' hips. There are about 4 or 5 types of Chestnut rose including a single-petal and double-petal form. It and some of the others produce the 'chestnuts.' My version is multi-petaled and seldom produces that particular aspect of the rose.

So there we have it. bop

Kalar

Kalar #216824 Jun 18th, 2008 at 07:25 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it is awesome thumbup i can't wait clap

#218695 Jun 27th, 2008 at 09:25 AM
3k Posts
3k Posts
How could a species of rose bush become obsolete - kinda' odd, when you think of it.

Unless some fundamentalist environment nuts decided they were harmful to the atmosphere - ha ha! You never know what they're gonna' come up with - roses cause cancer? Yeah . . . we haven't heard that one yet - hope we don't.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image