Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#211565 May 26th, 2008 at 10:42 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
I posted this in the 'mystery plants' area before I realized there was a rose Grower's forum. Forgive me if I'm duplicating effort unnecessarily. I would really love to know what the name of this rose is. I know it's an oldy, an heirloom, but that's all I know.

The leaves are small and medium green. It's very prickly. The thorns aren't very big but they're mean little buggars. Even the leaves around the buds have them.

Sorry for the slightly blurry pics. Getting a decent camera is on my todo list.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Kalar #211566 May 26th, 2008 at 10:44 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a pic of the bush. It gets huge but mine is just a few years old and I keep it cut back. The mama plant I got my cutting from in my Grandmother's yard goes everywhere if left unchecked....which has happened a time or to since she passed away many years ago.

[Linked Image]

Kalar

Kalar #211838 May 27th, 2008 at 05:52 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup actually posting both places is ok in this instance. sometimes we discourage that, but when you know it is a rose, why not why lol

#212064 May 28th, 2008 at 03:37 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Theresa Bugnet rose?

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #212067 May 28th, 2008 at 03:46 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Very pretty rose but not the one I have. Mine has many more tight little petals. I looked up your suggestion and saw a closeup of the buds. Mine are rounder and have little spines on their little bud leaves. Also, the bud is rounder than this rose.

The Theresa Bugnet rose sure is a pretty thing. I may have to get one. grin

Researching your suggestion pointed out that the TB rose is a Rugosa. Since it is fairly similar, I think I'll check into Rugosas.

Thanks! grin

Kalar

Kalar #212283 May 29th, 2008 at 11:30 AM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I bought a TB rose and it has yet to bloom, but it seems to have pulled through teh transplant shock. I'm pretty sure its a rugosa rose, or a floribunda rose if the blooms come in clusters of a few flowers

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #212286 May 29th, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by kennyso
I bought a TB rose and it has yet to bloom, but it seems to have pulled through teh transplant shock. I'm pretty sure its a rugosa rose, or a floribunda rose if the blooms come in clusters of a few flowers

Yes, my rose does bloom in clusters. Very few bloom 'alone'. :) I'll check out floribunda roses, too. I spent a fair amount of time researching my rose on the internet again last night. Still no luck. :(

Kalar

Kalar #212329 May 29th, 2008 at 05:16 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
have you searched for heirloom roses specifically?

#212337 May 29th, 2008 at 05:53 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
have you searched for heirloom roses specifically?

Yes. Heirloom, Antique, Old English, rugosa, and I don't remember what else. I haven't check 'floribunda' much yet. That's my next 'project.' grin

Kalar

Kalar #212348 May 29th, 2008 at 06:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup

#212351 May 29th, 2008 at 06:20 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
thumbup

I 'normally' try not to bother other folks to help me find something until I've gone as far as I can myself. nono grin But sometimes I send out requests to several sources hoping I can find out in a hurry. That was the case with the Evening Primrose. I was a little nervous that it might be a noxious weed and there are animals around here...pets and otherwise. I sent those pics out to several places in pretty much one fell swoop.

Speaking of finding something myself: I just tried a bunch of searches for floribunda roses and again for rugosas. No luck. It's not the most 'behaved' bush in the world nor is it the prettiest and it has some nasty characteristics with all the thorns and the prickly things even on the dead buds. You have to wear gloves to dehead the thing. Maybe they "discontinued" it? haha

Kalar

#212352 May 29th, 2008 at 06:21 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Could it be any of the following?
Rosa chinensis

This is a site that I use, but you have to pay to access their forum. non paying members can search their plantfiles (which I find soooo very useful) for up to 10 plants each day. There are over 5100 roses listed, it'll take a while if you want to search):
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/b/Rosaceae/Rosa/none/cultivar/0/

[Linked Image]

kennyso #212354 May 29th, 2008 at 06:24 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Ohh, I know a few rosarians or rose experts who really know a lot, one of which did extensive breeding and so did her mom. The rose society of America (or something similar in name) has a trophy named after her mom. If you can get me 'clearer' pictures, and more specifics like habit, leaflets in a leaf, number of petals, blooming habit (in flushes, singly, etc.) and other info. I can send it to her and see if they can help out

[Linked Image]

kennyso #212355 May 29th, 2008 at 06:30 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Could it be any of the following?
Rosa chinensis

This is a site that I use, but you have to pay to access their forum. non paying members can search their plantfiles (which I find soooo very useful) for up to 10 plants each day. There are over 5100 roses listed, it'll take a while if you want to search):

I checked the Rosa chinensis. That's definitely not it. 'Rosa.' That's the other category I've been searching on that I couldn't remember in my other post. :)

My rose is very thickly petaled. You can't even see a center. It's like it's all petals...which, now that I think of it, it is. That reminds me of one other thing I don't like about that rose other than the prickly bud leaves which make deadheading a pain without gloves. It's that when the flower dies, the petals don't gracefully fall away unless there is a strong wind. They just go all curled up and brown and look ugly until I pull them off.

Kalar

kennyso #212356 May 29th, 2008 at 06:31 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
>clipped>

Forgot to thank you for that link. 5100 roses! Wow! If my rose isn't in there, it must have been "discontinued" as I jokingly mentioned in my other post above. lol

Kalar

kennyso #212361 May 29th, 2008 at 06:41 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
Ohh, I know a few rosarians or rose experts who really know a lot, one of which did extensive breeding and so did her mom. The Rose society of America (or something similar in name) has a trophy named after her mom. If you can get me 'clearer' pictures, and more specifics like habit, leaflets in a leaf, number of petals, blooming habit (in flushes, singly, etc.) and other info. I can send it to her and see if they can help out

Oh my. That would be great! I knew the pictures were a little blurry but I didn't think it would be so hard to identify it. Gonna have to get that digital camera that's on my todo list. :wink:

Just as an aside: A few weeks ago before I put the pics of my "mystery plant", which turned out to be a Common Evening Primrose, on this site, I sent it to an 'expert' wildlfower organization cause that's what I thought it might be since I had thrown wildflower seeds in that area last year. I heard from them yesterday. They had no idea what it was. shock Since I had, of course, learned what it was in the interim, I replied to their email and enlightened them. teach
Point being that there are 'experts' and then there are 'experts.' lol

I very much appreciate the offer. Oh dear. I just realized that it's not blooming anymore. It'll crank back up but I don't recall how long between blooming cycles. At any rate, I'll get some good pics the next time it blooms.
Thanks again. kissie

Last edited by Kalar; May 29th, 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling boo boo :)

Kalar

kennyso #212365 May 29th, 2008 at 06:50 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
<clipped>

What'll drive me crazy is if I look through all of those pics and my rose turns out later to be one of those of the 5100 that "has no image." egad grin

Kalar

Kalar #215799 Jun 14th, 2008 at 06:57 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
My mystery rose finally has another couple of blooms. Here's a new pic taken with my little digital camera. Hope it's clear enough to help identify it. prayers The bloom size is from about 1 1/2" to maybe a little over 2" in diameter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 14th, 2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add dimensions

Kalar

Kalar #215815 Jun 14th, 2008 at 08:16 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't know what it is, but i like it and want one lol

#215820 Jun 14th, 2008 at 08:37 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
i don't know what it is, but i like it and want one lol

If I had some instruction on how to package some cuttings and where to send them, I'd send you some. bop

This is definitely a bush that has to be kept cut back. It'll go everywhere...although it does grow slowly, thank goodness!! And the dead blooms have to be removed or it gets plumb ugly. rspb grin

It's easy to grow once it roots. I haven't done anything special to this one except for an occasional dose of Miracle Gro. But probably doesn't even need that. My grandmother's bush never got any special attention like that and it's huge! I've had to cut it back a couple of times, too. zone 8a.

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 14th, 2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add info

Kalar

Kalar #215840 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:10 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
I may have found my old rose!!! I did discover that it's in the Centifolia group of old roses. This is Rosa Centifolia De Meaux. Please let me know if you think this might be it. This pic is more clear pink than mine but some of my blooms come out very close to this color.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kalar; Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Kalar

Kalar #215842 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:23 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if it isn't it, it is a very close cousin! the bloom is an exact match size and shape from what i can tell, but the color looks different.

i don't think a cutting would make it to me, but if you wanted to root one for me, i could send you something in return. mailing very small rooted plants is easy. i'll have to think what i could share! i have a very odd collection of plants.

#215846 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:43 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
if it isn't it, it is a very close cousin! the bloom is an exact match size and shape from what i can tell, but the color looks different.

i don't think a cutting would make it to me, but if you wanted to root one for me, i could send you something in return. mailing very small rooted plants is easy. i'll have to think what i could share! i have a very odd collection of plants.

What fun!! bop

I need to round up a free pot. grin Is this the right time of year to do that? I'm still on a learning curve about when to root and/or transplant various things.

Kalar

Kalar #215847 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:45 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't know about that. i've never successfully rooted a rose!

#215850 Jun 14th, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
i don't know about that. i've never successfully rooted a rose!

As far as roses go, that rose is the only one I've been able to grow from a cutting. I just fixed a spot and 'doctored' the dirt a little with some humus and stuck the cutting in the ground and kept it damp. I don't even think I put root stimulator on it. But I don't remember what time of year I did that.

I'll give it the good old college try and stick a couple of cuttings in a bucket. :wink: The worst that can happen is that it'll croak. haha

Kalar

Kalar #215891 Jun 14th, 2008 at 02:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
haha and the best is that i'll owe you some plants! thumbup

#215897 Jun 14th, 2008 at 02:34 PM
Kalar Offline OP
OP Offline
haha and the best is that i'll owe you some plants! thumbup

lol Definitely an encouraging thought. bop

I have already fixed the pot and added some cuttings. Time will tell... prayers

Kalar

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image