Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I'm writing this post on behalf of my father who lives in eastern pennsylvania. He planted his vegetable garden last week and says his tomato plants are wilting. He used aged manure from his horse, planted the plants and then soaked the ground after planting. Since then, they have had lots of rain, and the temperatures keep fluctuating. 70's one day and 55 the next. Any ideas what could be causing the wilting? Its definitely not lack of water, i'm thinking maybe too much water and the cool temps....not sure.

Dana
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
is the 55 night time temps, or does it get even colder than that at night?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
OP Offline
When i spoke to him yesterday it was 55 during the day so it definitely gets a little colder at night.

Dana
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
maybe it's the cold nights? just a guess. I put my tomatoes out when night time temps are upper 40's or higher. someone closer to his zone would probably be able to answer better.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
It could be aphids. They will definitely cause leaf wilt and curl. He should look under the leaves and see if there are some very tiny white or orange specks under there. If so, it's aphids. There are lots of products out there for aphids on tomatoes but he'll have to turn the leaves over to spray or powder. I've learned the spray is easiest and most effective but it's still a pain in the rear to have do all the leaves. Aphids will absolutely destroy his tomato plants if left unchecked. He should also check on the stems and stalks for the little buggars.

Also, now that I think of it, there is a fungus that can get on the roots and kill the plants. Not too much can be done about that other than pull up the plants and remove them from the garden so it won't infect the others. Too much water will certainly contribute to that particular problem. Tomatoes like water but not saturated all the time.

Kalar

"Make Known the Unknown."
Ciao all-

I suspect the cold weather is affecting your father's plants. Mine don't look healthy this year. Some of this is due to them being severely rootbound in cells much too small for them due to light space constraints. I'm also noticing wind burn (white portions of leaves), growth stagnation, and chartreuse foliage. I know they'll grow out of this once the weather settles down and their roots can finally move and grow, but it sure is tough watching them go through this. We had frost warnings overnight so anything not planted already spent the night in the garage.

Cheers,
Julianna

Grazie a tutti,
Julianna

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm wondering, did he harden the seedlings off before planting?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Mine are wilting as wewll but I am in Va. Beach. Daytine temps have been in the upper 90's and night in the 70's. I use Miracle Grow and have been watering by hose every night. Very little rain in the last month. So I guess my problem is similar to yours but temps are very different. I would like an answer, too.

HWNC

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image