Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#210615 May 22nd, 2008 at 12:06 PM
OP Offline
Hi there, I'm a newbie to veggie gardening and have begun with 2 raised beds with a variety of pots too. This last week i have struggled with coping with the texas weather extremes - from 3" of rain in 2 days, to none for a week, to golf ball style hail and now nearly three figures in temperature!!
The garden was going extremely well but now i have come across some problems:

Picture 1: I think water damage to the tomotoe plants lower leaves- should I cut these off or leave them?

Picture 2: I think sunburn to my peppers? Ive erected a temporary sheet for shade but does anyone know of a more perminate soloution?

Picture 3: Cucumber in pot? Any help - first it seemed to be needin water, then i think it got too much now its wilting - is it a gonna or is it salvagable?
Any advice - thanks in advance

http://www.davidanddonita.com/garden.htm

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I'm from tx also. welcome to the forum!
what variety of tomato is that? looks very different to me. I see brown leaves at the bottom of the plant. you could certainly remove those carefully. im not sure if i'm seeing yellow in the leaves or if that is a glare from the sun?
it looks like something ate on your pepper. i'd look it over good for bugs. peppers shouldn't burn in this heat. they love it hot!
your cucumber looks fine to me. my cucumber plants never look extreamly 'pretty' but always produce tons. I'm wondering if your pot is big enough though?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice Cricket - they are Roma tomatoes.

The pepper is definately not bugs - I'll post some better pictures. Theres a few which have the brown old looking skin on the same side, but its not happened again since that extremely hot day?!

The cucumber in the pot is still not looking good - only one fruit, which is mis-shapen. Its a 5 gallon pot, would you suggest larger?

Thanks again

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
hhhmmmmm....didn't realize it was in a 5 gal pot. that should be big enough, then. to me it looked like a hanging basket size pot.
yea, I wouldn't worry too much about the pepper if it hasn't happened again.
of course, post better pic's if you want. we love looking at veggie pic's here!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Like Cricket stated better pictures would be helpful. It looks like sun on both pepper and tomato to me but can't tell for sure. Was the tomato hardened off before transplanting? How long had it been out. Have seen it sometimes on plants that had been out a few weeks if they were put out during a period with not as bright of sun and had never been gradually exposed. I would say they will both be fine. The cuke can't tell for sure. Please post some close up pictures if you can. JD

1k Posts
1k Posts
Could your pepper maybe have blossom-end-rot? Not sure tho' if peppers can have this, I know tomatoes get it and it's a lack of calcium.

With your tomatoes, just take off the damaged leaves, you won't hurt the plant at all by doing this.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image