Hi all, I'm new to this group but have been reading up here and it sounds like there are a lot of knowledgable ppl here. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.
Ok, a couple of weeks ago I went to a rummage sale and they were selling an umbrella plant for $2, yes I said $2 (lol). If you ever shop for planters at Walmart, the lady had it in one of those 97 cent green hanging planters. It was laying over sideways in the pot, pretty sure it had been knocked over and just left like that. Even with that, the plant looked somewhat healthy. I decided to take my chances with the plant as i have never had an umbrella. It was in the back of my Rodeo for a couple hours while I finished shopping at the rummage sales, it was a semi-hot day out (tinted windows). It has 9 healthy trunks and one spindly one that I'm pretty sure is dead or dying.
With that said, I couldn't wait a couple of days or weeks to repot it as it would have dried out and died. I repotted it in a larger Red Wing clay planter w/saucer a day after I brought it home. Almost immediately upon bringing it home the leaves started looking sad (sunburned? excessive heat from being in truck?) The plant just looks sad and droopy!! lol
A couple leaves now have some yellow/brownish tips, a few others have yellow or brownish "spots." I do see a few new little arms coming out with leaves
growing and looking very healthy. The problem is... do I cut off the bad leaves or just leave them alone to fall off?
The other question is this... I repotted it approx 2 weeks ago and last night I realized there is a LOT of... well... SOMETHING...
growing out of the soil under the plant. I have no clue what it could be as I used Miracle Grow potting soil and I have never had a problem with
weeds or anything else
growing from the soil.
I just signed up for Photobucket and I am not sure how to get the pictures viewable in here but I'm going to try. Otherwise I have quite a few pictures in there to view what I am talking about with wilting and growth under the tree.
Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!! PS. in some of the closeup pics, there is water on the leaves... I had misted it a little earlier and it is still wet!! lol Also, this is not where I normally keep the plant, I moved it by the patio door to get better pics and give it a dose of a little brighter light (you can see my baby ficus in the corner, it's doing great in that spot)
Here is a link to all the pics:
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/nlp08SD/13+ Pathos (Devil's Ivy)
5+ Diffenbachia (sp?)
2 Spider plants (not good with these - I always kill them)
1 Large Ficus tree
1 baby Ficus bush
2 Snake Plants
1 Crocus (is that the correct name.. can't remember...lol - not doing well either)
I know there's more but thats just off the top of my head!!
1 dog
1 cat
1 bird
3 fish tanks
Ya... I love projects to nurture!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!